Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
School Memorabilia of the Tri-Counties
Horseheads High School - 1919 - World War One soldiers

This turn of the century postcard shows the Horseheads High School.

World War One Records of Horseheads Graduates

School: Horseheads High School
Horseheads, Chemung County NY
Horseheads High School 1919 Yearbook
Year: 1919
Submitted by: Walt Samson
Retyped by Pat SMITH Raymond
Tri-County Genealogy  History Sites Home Page
Souvenir School Booklets
Horseheads Page
Say Hello to Joyce 
Joyce's Search Tip - November 2008
Do You Know that you can search just the 700 pages of School Records on the site  by using the Schools button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page?  You can narrow your search by entering a township name and a surname and using the Find All Words option



CHARLES ACKER – Enlisted in the army in June 1917, and received his military training at Chickamauga Park, Georgia. With the 53rd Inf. Co. G, of the 6th Division, he went to France in June, 1918. He was in active service there, being in the battle of Verdun, at the Meuse front and in the Argonne Forest. Mr. Acker is now in Treves, Germany, occupying the barracks which were formerly occupied by the Crown Prince.

DONALD S. ARMITAGE – Graduated from Horseheads High School, June 1917. He trained at Great Lakes Naval Training Station after he enlisted in the navy at Syracuse September 1, 1917. From September 12, 1917, until Nov. 23, 1917, he remained at Naval Training Station, Ill. From Nov. 23, until March 8, 1918, he was at Harvard Radio School, Cambridge, Mass. On March 14, 1918, he sailed from Philadelphia on foreign service. From March 25, 1918, to December 18, 1918, inclusive, he served on U.S. Destroyer Isabell in foreign waters as wireless operator. He sailed for home on this date, arriving in Boston Harbor January 2, 1919. He was discharged from service on February 17, 1919.

WILLIAM F. ARMITAGE – Graduated from Horseheads High school in June, 1915. He enlisted at Pittsfield, Mass., Sept. 3, 1917, in the Q.M.C. He was sent to Fort Slocum, New York, then to Madison Barracks, Sackett’s Harbor, N.Y. He sailed for overseas Nov. 15, 1917. He is still overseas in Q.M.C. and stationed at "Barisey la Cote" "Meurthe et Moselle."

HENRY K. W. AUSTIN – Graduated from High School in 1914 and entered Cornell University. He enlisted in the navy early in the Spring of 1917 and was sent to Newport, R.I., as a yeoman of the second class. During the summer he was transferred to the U.S. Naval Forces Staff Office in Paris, France. He remained there until the summer of 1918, when he was again transferred to the Naval Headquarters at Base 7. The last heard from Henry he was a yeoman of the first class on the U.S.S. Carola at Brest, France.

STANLEY BANKS – Joined the Alfred Student Army Training Corps in October 1918. He was discharged in January 1919.

OLIVER BARBER – Enlisted in his 19th year in the 659th Aero Squadron; graduated as Motorcycle Machinist, was transferred from Kelly field in Texas to Garden City, L. I., in March, 1918, where he volunteered to bugle while the regular bugler was sick. He won the silver plated bugle which a wealthy lady from New York offered as a prize to the best bugler in the cantonment. Shortly after this he left for France. When about five hours out from shore it was discovered that the boat had been tampered with by the Germans and it was necessary to pull back into port. He has been in Nancy during the whole period of the war, driving his commander’s motorcycle sidecar. He is now on the Rhine.

ARTHUR BORDEN – Enlisted in the marines August 8, 1918, and was sent to Paris Island for his training. On October 28, 1918, he sailed for France and is still there.

RAYMOND BRESSLER – drafted June 1918, and went to Camp Wheeler, Ga., in the Medical Corps. He was honorably discharged December 23, 1919.

FREDERICK D. BROOKS – Graduated from Horseheads High school in June, 1911. He entered Cornell University in 1913 and graduated in 1916. He became an instructor at Delhi State Agricultural school and enlisted in the Aviation Corps on December 15, 1917. Later he was transferred to Kelley Field, Texas, and in a short time entered a Training school at Camp Taylor, Louisville, Ky. He was honorably discharged November 26, 1918.

ELMER L. BUSH – Enlisted in the naval reserves June, 1918, and was called for duty the following July. He went to Buffalo and took final examinations and was sent to the Great Lakes Training Station. He remained there until January 1919, when he was transferred to the Philadelphia Navy Yard. He stayed there until the following May when he sailed on the U.S.S. Mercury for France, returning to U.S.A. the latter part of the same month. He came home on a four day furlough then went back to Newport News, Va., to make another trip, leaving about the 10th of June, 1919.

HAROLD CARD – Corporal. Was drafted and went to Camp Dix, May 29, 1918. He left camp about the first of September for France. While there he helped build a railroad for the last big drive. He belonged to the 59th Pioneer Infantry.

DOUGLAS CHAPMAN – enlisted and went May 1917, to Fort Slocum. He was sent to Washington Barracks and in August, 1917, went overseas. He has seen continual active service since then and has been in the hospital. He was badly gassed once and also wounded. He is now in Germany in the First Division.

BERT CHARLES – Enlisted August, 1918, and went to Camp Hancock, Va. He went across about the first of October and stayed six months. He was discharged April 26, 1919.

MARVIN CHRISTIAN – Lieutenant. Enlisted November 20, 1917. He became first an instructor at Aviation Ground School in Infantry and Military Tactics, Ithaca, N.Y. May, 1918, he went in the O.T.S., Camp Meade, and was transferred from there to the O.T.S. at Camp Hancock commanding 14th Company Machine Gun, O.T.S. September 20, he was transferred from there to Camp Sevier and while there commanding 60th Machine Gun Batallion, October 2, 1918 until December 20, 1918. Relieved and assigned commanding "C" Company 60th Machine Gun Battalion. He was discharged January 30, 1919.

LEWIS COGSDILL – Was drafted in May, 1918. He was sent to Camp Dix where he remained for two months. He then went to France and at the end of seven months returned. He was discharged in March 1919.

DR. B.F. COLEGROVE – Enlisted and went to France. He has been discharged and is now at his home in VanEtten.

ALBERT COUGHLIN – Went in the draft of March 18, 1918. He was sent to Kelly Field, Texas, then to Indiana and from there to Camp Meade, Md. He belonged to the Aviation corps. He was discharged from the service February 2, 1919.

JOHN DELANEY – Was drafted October 13, 1918 and left for overseas. He landed at Brest October 26. He went through Eccony, Semur and Bordeaux. Although the armistice was signed he went through heavy drilling. While in France he had the opportunity of hunting both boar and deer. He was discharged from Camp Dix and arrived home June 7, 1919.

DORN D. DILMORE – Private. Entered High School in 1896, where he remained only about one year. After he left school he had two years’ training in the 30th Saparate Company at Elmira, New York, under Captain John T. Sadler. On December 3, 1917, Private Dilmore enlisted and was sent to Fort Slocum, December 7, 1917. He was then sent to Camp Greene, North Carolina, for training. From there he was transferred to Embarkation Camp at Camp Merritt, N.J. On March 16, 1918, he was ordered to France by the way of Halifax and left on the Canadian Convoy S.S. Corsican. He landed in Glasgow, Scotland, in April and was sent to a French training camp and left for the front lines on May 30, 1918. He was in the battle of Chateau Thierry and the second battle of the Marne. Private Dilmore received injuries from an enemy machine gun July 22, and was captured July 23, in badly wounded condition in a shell hole. He was taken to Metz, Germany, by the Germans and held as a prisoner of war until November 27, 1918. He returned to the U.S.A. as a casual and was discharged from Camp Upton, February 25, 1919.

HARRY DUNHAM – Was drafted Oct. 22, 1918 and went to Camp Dix. He was made a corporal Nov. 6th, and was promoted to sergeant Sept. 29, and left Camp Dix for Camp Humphrey July 10th, 1918. He was then sent back to Camp Dix until the 22nd of October, 1918, when he was discharged. His service was duty sergeant.

GILBERT EISENHART – Went to Cornell University in the S.A.T.C. on October 14, 1918. He was honorably discharged from the service December 3, 1918.

WALTER ELWOOD – Drafted April, 1918, and went to Camp Dix. He was discharged about January 1, 1919, and is now at home.




JOHN FITZGERALD – Went in the draft which left November 22, 1917, to Camp Dix. He then went to Camp Hancock, Georgia, to Camp Merritt, N.Y., and from there to France. He belongs to the Motor Mechanic’s Corps in the Air Service. He is still across.

WILLIAM FLANNERY – Enlisted January 24, 1918, and went to a training school at Columbus, Ohio. On March 28 he received his commission as second lieutenant in the Air Service. From here he was sent to Kelly Field, Texas. From Kelly Field he was transferred to VanCouver Barracks, Washington. He remained here until January, 1919, when he was transferred to Washington City, from which place he was discharged February 15, 1919.

FLOYD GARRABRANT – Went in the draft of February 25th, 1918. He went to Camp Upton and was discharged from the service in the late Spring.

CLARK GRISWOLD – Enlisted in the army on September 15, 1918, and was sent to Camp Polk, North Carolina. From there he was transferred to Camp Meade. While in the service he was chosen to take a tank to tour the State of Massachusetts for the Victory Loan. He was mustered out May 21, 1919.

LEO GRISWOLD – Enlisted in the army October 1, 1918, and was sent to Camp Colt. From there he was transferred to Camp Dix. He was mustered out of the army December 5, 1918.

VIRGIL HALL – Graduated from the High school June, 1918. He enlisted in the S.A.T.C. at Ohio Wesleyan University in September 1918. He was discharged December 19, 1918.

ALBERT HAMMOND – Went September, 1918, to Governor’s Island. He was division inspector of hardware and metals in the Quartermaster’s Corps. He was discharged December 28, 1918.

JEROME M. HILL – Graduated from High school at Horseheads June, 1916. He enlisted June 8, 1917. He was at the Newport Naval Training School at Brooklyn Navy Yards and then was sent across on the U.S.S. Bridge. He was very close for some time to the two greatest fleets in the world among which was the Queen Elizabeth. The ship on which he stayed just missed a U-boat. He made three trips across and saw the Azore Islands and also the Orkney Islands. He was honorably discharged January 22, 1919.

JOHN HODGE – Was drafted May 26, 1918, and went to Camp Dix for training. He sailed for France August 26, 1918, on the S.S. Persic. The ship was torpedoed by a German submarine September 7, 1918, 200 miles off the Irish coast. He landed the next morning at Plymouth, England, crossed the English Channel to France. He arrived home January 19, 1919.

MERRILL HOLLENBECK – Graduated from Horseheads High School in June, 1918. He went to the Ohio Wesleyan University and enlisted in S.A.T.C. He was discharged December 19, 1918.

SEYMOUR HOLLENBECK – Went in the draft which left June 26, 1918. He was put in the hospital corps. He is not yet discharged.

MERL HOLMES – Was a graduate of grammar school, High school and Training class of Horseheads High School. He was drafted into the service on October 22, 1918, and received his first training at Camp Wheeler, Ga., where he was in the 99th Div., 4th Batt. On December 21st he was sent to Camp Dix, N.J., where he was in the 15th Co., 4th Batt., 153rd Depot Brigade. Mr. Holmes was honorably discharged from the service on December 21, 1918.

HOWARD HOPKINS – Was drafted and sent to Camp dix on Sept. 26, 1917. He was sent from there to Camp Gordon, Georgia. On July 10, 1918, he sailed from Washington Barracks on a transport for France. He went through the battle at St. Mihiel and several other less important drives. He was not wounded. He was discharged March 24, 1919.

OTTO HUDDLE – Attended Training Class at Horseheads. He attended Cortland Normal school and Cornell University. He was drafted and sent to Camp Dix Nov. 22, 1917. He then went to Camp Green in the Infantry. He was sent across and saw active service. He is not yet discharged.

GEORGE KELLOGG – Graduated from the High school June, 1917. He enlisted in the Hospital Corps August 13, 1918, and went to Fort Slocum. From here he was transferred to Madison Barracks where he was promoted to Corporal. During the period of influenza he worked in the Rochester university hospital. He was honorably discharged March 1919, from the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Md.

CLARENCE LATTIN – Enlisted and went to Texas. From here he went to France where he was for several months in active service. He has been honorably discharged and is now in Wisconsin.

HARRY LAWRENCE – Enlisted in the service March 8, 1918. He went to Camp Upton and was sent across in a very short time. He was in several battles among which were Vesle, Meuse and Argonne. He was not wounded but had some exciting experiences. He was honorably discharged from the service on May 20, 1919.

LEON L. LOOMIS – Was drafted September 5, 1918. He was sent first to Camp Jackson and then Camp Sevier. He joined the Postal Detachment of the 20th Division and was discharged February 22, 1919.

EDWARD B. LOONEY - Was drafted into the service in April, 1918. He received his first training in the Machine Gun Infantry at Camp Dix. A month later he was sent to Fort Niagara to do guard duty. After serving there for a time he went to Camp Upton, L. I., where he was employed in the Personnel office. From there Mr. Looney was sent to Fort Adams, R.I., and a few weeks after to the Watertown Arsenal, Mass., where he again did guard duty. On December 15, 1918, he was honorably discharged from the service.

RALPH MacCONNELL – Enlisted in the first part of the war in a camp near Washington. He was placed in the band. He went across in the 161st Infantry and remained there seventeen months. He is discharged from the service now.

RALPH MILLER – Enlisted December 1917. After spending several months in training camps in the U.S. he went to France for about one year. He has been honorably discharged and is now working at the Eclipse machine shop in Elmira Heights.

LLOYD MOORE – Was drafted April 29, 1918, in the infantry. He went to Camp Dix from where, as a first class private, he sailed for France May 20, 1918. September 12 he took part in the St. Mihiel drive and soon afterwards was in the hospital for a short time on account of gas and rheumatism. He came home as a casual and was discharged February 27, 1919.

HAROLD MOSHER – Enlisted in the marines June 25, 1918. He was first sent to Paris Island and then to Quantico. He was a qualified first class marksman and was put in the headquarters company with the officers of the regiment. From there he went to Philadelphia and soon afterwards sailed for France on the DeKolbe. He landed in Brest and then went to Mehum. From Mehum he went to Grieves, where he is at present.

ARTHUR MUNDY – Was in the enlisted group which left December 18, 1918. He was sent first to Camp Meade, then to Camp Laurel, Maryland; to Camp Leach, and then to Fort Ben Harrison, Indiana. He was discharged from the service December 16, 1919.

PAUL NICHOLS – The teacher of music and drawing in Horseheads High school in 1916, was drafted and sent to Camp Dix, September 26, 1917. He went across shortly after and has been in the Intelligence Corps. He has done clerical work chiefly.

EDWIN PINCKNEY - Graduated from grammar school in 1909 and was a member of High school for three years, and a member of Training class the following year. Mr. Pinckney was drafted in June 1917, and was sent to Camp Dix.

JAMES QUINN – Enlisted March, 1918, in the Medical Department at Fort Porter, Buffalo. He was made a sergeant in September, 1918. He is not yet discharged.

FLOYD ROCKWELL – Enlisted September 18, 1917, and received his first training at Camp Louis, Washington. After being there nine months he was sent to Camp Merritt, and on July 6th embarked from New York City to France. While in France he was in active service, being in the battle of St. Mihiel, at the Meuse front in the Argonne Forrest, and in the Battle of Ypres-Lys. Mr. Rockwell was wounded in the hand, making the fingers of his right hand useless. He left France with the 346th Machine Gun Battalion, Co. B, 91st Division, W.W., April 2nd, 1919, and was honorably discharged from the service April 28th, 1919.

WALTER V. ROCKWELL - Enlisted May 11, 1917, and entered Madison Barracks as candidate in the 1st O.T.C. From here he was transferred to Fort Niagara on August 24, 1917, as student and instructor in 2nd O.T.C. where he received his commission as 1st lieutenant of infantry and proceeded to Camp Upton on December 15. He was transferred April 8 to Port of Embarkation, Hoboken, N.J. and was assigned to duty at Bush Terminal, Brooklyn loading transports and doing guard duty. On August 20 he was transferred to Syracuse Recruiting camp from where he took a company of 250 men to Camp Mills on August 26. He was promoted to Captain of infantry September 7, 1918, and did general guard duty and police work around the camp. On January 8, 1919, he discharged his company and was assigned to the Post Exchange. He was discharged April 3, 1919, as Captain of Infantry and Reserve Corps April 29, 1919.

EARL ROCKWELL – Enlisted in June 1918, and was sent to Fort Reilly, Kansas. After being there one week he was sent to Fort Huston, Texas, and one week later was sent to Camp Merritt, from where he embarked to France. Mr. Rockwell is now in the Medical Attachments in St. Nezairre, France.

GLENN D. ROE – Enlisted in the Ambulance Corps May 17, 1918. He was sent to Fort Slocum and left there May 25, 1918, for Washington, D.C., where Camp Meigs is located. He was in training there until August 15, 1918. He left, supposing he was on his way to France. He was sent to the Edgewood Arsenal, Maryland, where he was transferred to Motor Transport Corps 514. At this place is the largest poisonous gas plant in the world. He was discharged from the service March 28, 1919.

SYDNEY ROSE – Corporal. Was drafted April 29, 1918. He was sent to Camp Dix and on May 19, 1918, went to Hoboken. He sailed from there on the S.S. Port Melbourne May 20, 1918. He landed at Halifax and went from there to Verdun Camp. He had his first experience in trenches with the English. He was in the trenches two weeks at Chateau Thierry. He went to St. Mihiel Sector where he helped in building railroads, carrying ammunition and burying the dead. He was in several battles. He was honorably discharged and arrived home on June 1, 1919.

HARVEY SANFORD - Graduated from the High school June, 1916. He enlisted in the navy in 1917. He has made several trips across and has had several exciting experiences. He is now on the U.S.S. Prairie.

HARRY L. SAUNDERS – Second Lieutenant. Graduated from the High School, June 1909. Graduated from Cornell University, State College of Agriculture, June, 1915. He was drafted September 1917, and went to Camp Dix with the 310th Infantry, 78th Division; was made Corporal November 1917, and promoted to Sergeant December, 1917; March, 1918, he was qualifying instructor in the Automatic Rifle and Grenade school at Camp Dix. Since the armistice was signed he has been sent back from Germany to an Army Corps school in France for advanced training in bombing and automatic rifle. He is now at Remagan-on-the-Rhine.

ALDEN SEELY – Was drafted October 22, 1918. He went to Camp Wheeler, Ga., and afterwards was transferred to Camp Dix. He was honorably discharged December 23, 1918.

JOHN SHERMAN – Enlisted November 22, 1917. July 5, 1918, he went across and landed at Salisbury, England. He was in the aviation corps. He was honorably discharged November 29, 1918.

RALPH SHRIVER – Enlisted in the Air Service December 7, 1917. He was sent to camp at Kelly Field, San Antonio, Texas. He went from there to Speedway, Indianapolis. There he was employed in the Supply Department of the Air Service. He was discharged March 20, 1919. Mr. Shriver attended Horseheads High school for a time but graduated from Elmira Academy in 1907. He graduated from the Oswego Normal school in 1911. Prior to his enlistment Mr. Shriver taught manual training.

HAROLD STAPLES – Left for Camp Upton February 25, 1918. He left U.S.A. April 7, 1918. He was in the battles on the Alsace Lorraine sector, in Fismes and in Argonne Meuse. He was in a hospital in France six weeks. He arrived in U.S.A. April 28, 1919, and was discharged from Camp Upton May 9th, 1919.

FAY THOMPSON – Left Horseheads school and attended Meeker’s Business Institute. He was drafted and sent to Camp Gordon, Georgia. He was sent across in the quartermasters department June 2, 1918. He is not yet discharged.

RALPH UPSON – Graduated from the high school June, 1917; enlisted in the Hospital Corps of the Navy June 8, 1917; went to Buffalo July 19, 1917, and was transferred to New York for instruction at the Medical college, Columbia University. After ten weeks of instruction here he sailed from New York December 14, 1917, and arrived at St. Nazarre, France, December 28, 1917. Ralph is Chief Pharmacist’s Mate and has always been on the U.S.S. Susquehanna. It was on May 31, that the transport, President Lincoln, steaming on the port side of the Susquehanna was hit by two torpedoes and sank in 32 minutes. The Susquehanna fired three shots at the submarine attacking the transport. Up to the present time he has been across twelve times.

CARL UTLEY – Corporal. Crafted Nov. 21, 1917. He was wounded at Chateau Thierry, June 14, 1918. He left the United States for France April 6, 1918, and arrived in America from France April 2, 1919.

GILBERT VAN DUZER – Enlisted in the navy as an apprentice seaman in Omaha, Nebraska, early in December 1917. He was sent to the Great Lakes Naval Training Station where he remained until April, 1918, when he was transferred to the Recruiting Station at Indianapolis, Indiana. In December 1918, he was again transferred to the Philadelphia Navy Yards to join the U.S.S. "Iowa" which went to Hampton Roads and Norfolk, Va. While on board the "Iowa" Gilbert joined the Radio class. Returning to Philadelphia they dismantled the "Iowa" and this Radio class was sent to the Harvard Radio school at Cambridge, Mass. When that school was broken up, Gilbert was again transferred to the Great Lakes Training Station and he is now connected with the District Enrolling Office there.

HAROLD VAN HOUTEN – Enlisted in the cavalry May 28, 1918. He was sent to Fort Slocum, then to Camp Stanley, Texas, where after a few months training in the 305th Cavalry he was transferred to the 44th Field Artillery. He was promoted to first class private and was honorably discharged from Camp Upton on February 21, 1919.

EARL VAN ORDER – Left in the drafted group which went September 5, 1918. He was sent to Camp Jackson and put in the Army Band Corps. He was discharged from the service on February 3, 1919.

THEODORE WELLER – Enlisted in 1917 and went as yeoman to a New York pier. He has been honorably discharged and is now in New York city.

MOTT WESTLAKE – Was drafted and left for Camp Dix May 26, 1918. There he was in the Personnel office of the adjutant-general. About the last of August he sailed for France with Battery C, 335 Field Artillery, 87th Division. He is still in the service in France doing clerical work at Bordeaux.

RICHARD BENTLEY – Was graduated from Horseheads High school in June, 1917. He enlisted on May 9, 1917, but came from camp for commencement. After training in several camps in the United States he sailed May 18, 1918, on the U.S.S. Grant. While at Camp Wadsworth, S. C., he was made corporal. The company landed at Brest May 30, 1918. They marched incessantly and went at once into active trench service. Company L was chosen as a model company from the 27th Division to represent that division in a review before King George. Richard was given the Distinguished Service Cross for extraordinary heroism in action near St. Souplet, France. Accompanied by an officer and three other soldiers who had volunteered for the work, he made a reconnaissance of the River La Selle, the journey being made under constant and heavy machine gun fire. To secure the desired information it was necessary to wade the stream for the encross. On October 17, 1918, the company went over the top. Richard had some phosphorus bombs in his pocket. These were set off by a bursting shrapnel and immediately ignited. He lived only a short time under the intense fire. Nearly all his personal effects were burned. He is buried in the cemetery near St. Souplet. In a letter from one of the boys is the following: "Dick was one of the youngest, also the strongest, brightest and best of the company. He could do more work in an hour than the entire squad and he did it. When he went in battle he fought just as hard as he worked in camp. Captain Riffe wrote to the family: "Since the day your brother enlisted in this company he has always proved to be a man of sterling qualities and one in whom we could place great trust and responsibility. As a soldier he was held in the highest esteem by every officer and man with whom he came in contact." (One more sentence, but it is cut off.)

WAYNE F. MOORE – Corporal. Co. B, 1st Reg. U.S. Engineers, 1st Division. Graduated from the High school, June, 1914. He enlisted April 23, 1917, and went to Fort Slocum April 26. On May 10th he was transferred to the Washington Barracks, Washington, D.C. where he was promoted to corporal. He left for France August 7, 1917, where he served for some time as instructor in the reconnaissance section. During July he saw much active service. From July 17-24, his company having been placed as infantry, he took part in one of the worst battles near Chateau Thierry. Less than one-fifth of his company came through this battle unharmed. On July 29th Wayne was recommended for a commission and was sent to a candidate’s school at Langres. When his course was nearly completed he was stricken with pneumonia and as a result of having been gassed, died September 6, 1918. He was buried with full military honors in an American cemetery, A.E.F., just outside of the ancient city of Langres.

DAVID O’CONNOR – Enlisted July 28, 1917, as a private in Co. B, 11th Infantry, and went to Fort Slocum, N.Y. He was killed in action September 12, 1918, at St. Mihiel, France, and buried at Commune of Regneville-en-Haye cemetery. (Meurthe-et-Moselle) France.

FRANCIS J. WARD – Corporal. Enlisted April 10, 1917, in Company L. He left for overseas May 18, 1918, landing at Brest May 30. He was almost continuously in active service until he was wounded September 29, 1918. On the morning of the 28th of September Company L went over the top. Francis, with his squad which he was leading, was separated from the company in the barrage. Richard Bentley was with Francis because he had been separated from his own squad. When the barrage lifted they found themselves near the German line. They took refuge in a shell hole where a piece of steel was knocked from Francis’ gun lodging in his neck. While going back to his company he was wounded severely in the head. While dragging back the body of a wounded comrade he was shot through the breast, the bullet lodging in his spine. He managed to get back with the soldier. He was taken to a field hospital in France where he stayed until October 3, when he was taken from there to a hospital in England. Ten days later paralysis set in and on October 29, at 11:30 a.m. he passed away. He was buried by an army of English non-coms with full military honors. The nurses of his ward sent a cross of flowers for his grave which is at Lodge Hill cemetery, Ruberry, England.

DAVID WOOD – Drafted September 5, 1918; went to Camp Jackson, South Carolina. He died in camp October 4, 1918, after one month’s service in the camp.

Chemung County NY
Published On Tri-Counties Site On ?
By Joyce M. Tice

You are our welcome visitor 01 DEC  2003