Communites
Chemung County NY
Horseheads NY 1953 Chamber of Commerce Booklet
Home Page
More Local History Articles
Town of Horseheads Page

HORSEHEADS N. Y.

YOUR COMMUNITY

ITS HISTORY and SERVICES

A Word of History…

In 1779 Near This Spot General John Sullivan Mercifully Disposed Of His Pack Horses Worn Out By Faithful Service In the Campaign Against The Six Nations Of The Iroquois

The First White Settler Entering This Valley In 1789 Found The Bleached Skulls And Named The Place

Horseheads

The Retail Division of the Horseheads Chamber of Commerce, in an effort to acquaint the newcomers of Horseheads with the village and the services it offers, has made possible this booklet. You will find a business directory in the back of the book. Advertisements of the sponsoring merchants are on the inside pages.

Written and edited by

LAWRENCE E. MURPHY

Photos by

JACK GREIBLE

EMERGENCY NUMBERS
 

FIRE DEPARTMENT 9-3813
POLICE (VILLAGE) 9-4113
POLICE (RADIO CONTACT) 6161
STATE POLICE  9-3801
VILLAGE CLERK 9-3071
HOSPITAL ST. JOSEPH’S 6241
HOSPITAL ARNOT-OGDEN 5221
DOCTOR
DENTIST

 

VILLAGE OF HORSEHEADS

Office of the Mayor

Horseheads, NY

Mayor Clive A. Blowers

Village Hall

Horseheads, NY

My fellow citizens,

It is with a distinct honor that I take this opportunity to greet you, both new residents and old.

You are probably well aware that you are a part of one of the finest communities in the State of New York. You will find in our village a unique combination of the efficiency of big city government and the neighborly cooperation which is daily making suburban communities the most popular place in which to live.

We are at present undergoing an expansion, in both industry and population, that is equaled in the state. This is no booming war-time episode, however, but the results of a firm, sound program of planning that will find Horseheads in the years to come still more attractive in all respects than it is today.

We like our community and we know you will too.

Your active participation in its business and community affairs, you will find, will bring you both pleasant moments and the same feeling of satisfaction in this, your home town, that we feel.

Everyone likes it in Horseheads!

Sincerely,

Clive A. Blowers

Mayor

Village elections are held on the first Tuesday of every March. Elective offices include those of president (mayor), trustees, treasurer and police justice.
 
 
 
President 1 year
Trustees 2 years
Treasurer 1 year
Police Justice 4 years

Any qualified person may have his name placed on the ballot by circulating a petition to be signed by 75 resident voters of the village.

THIS IS YOUR VILLAGE…

On a sunny afternoon in May, 1941, just before the start of World War II, an official looking car, one of many that had been seen in the area for several months preceding, stopped in front of the Horseheads Village Hall.

A few moments later, the car pulled away, carrying village officials, an Army colonel and his assistant.

It was that very afternoon that village residents learned the news of the Army’s intention to locate a supply depot on a 550-acre plot just north of the village.

It wasn’t until a few months later, however, that the 2,500 residents of the village were to feel the full impact of this decision.

During the summer months, hundreds of workmen, representing all the building trades, streamed into the village. Heavy equipment and machinery lumbered through the streets, on their way to start work on the giant $8 million supply depot.

With the beginning of World War II, the construction work reached a feverish pitch and when the construction workmen had finished their job, still more workers, who were to staff the installation, crowded into Horseheads, taking every available room and dwelling.

This then was the real beginning of the growth of Horseheads.

The village limits were expanded.

Business expanded to absorb the increase in buying power. New stores opened. Old stores grew.

But this expansion wasn’t a boom-town expansion.

Workers came to Horseheads; they liked it here and moved in with their families, to stay. Housing construction increased tremendously but with the type of building that had the look of permanency.

The expansion, although rapid, was cautious, and the officials guiding the destiny of the village made certain that when the boom was over, Horseheads would not be scarred with many black, vacant windows in homes where workers and their families had once lived.

Horseheads was to have no war-time temporary housing development, that after a few years would become uninhabited, to be decayed and rotted by the weather. There would be no deserted homes to serve in the years to come as a grim reminder of the prosperous days that were once part of Horseheads.

The village wanted to hang onto that property.

And it did.

The Horseheads of today is the fastest growing community in the State of New York. Its growth is the good, solid expansion that will make a good, solid America.

Home construction, at an all-time high, is for the building of good homes by residents who plan to spend their lives here.

Industry is of the type that is here today---and will be here tomorrow too.

There are many men who have guided Horseheads in its expansion. Never once has a decision been made that has not been beneficial to the village and every one of its residents.

Horseheads will continue to grow. It has to. And that growth will be good. It will be here for years to come.

Horseheads will never be a ghost town.

********

LONG AGO

The Village of Horseheads was incorporated in May, 1837, not at Horseheads, but as Fairport.

It was not in the Town of Horseheads, but in the Town of Elmira, which was divided in 1854 when the Town of Horseheads was created.

The name of Fairport was retained for eight years and was changed in 1845 to Horseheads. There were some, however, who did not like the name and in 1885, it was changed to North Elmira.

The change caused a great stir and the following year, the name of the village became an issue in the Assembly election.

After several months of bitter campaigning, the candidate favoring the name of Horseheads for the name of the village was elected by a close margin. It was through his efforts in the Assembly that the name was changed back to Horseheads. It has remained unchanged.

The name of the village is the result of the campaigning of General John Sullivan. This Revolutionary War general and Indian fighter came up the valley in 1779 to drive out the Indians.

Following the Battle of Newtown, about 12 miles south of Horseheads, he dealt the Indians a decisive defeat, thus making the valley safe for the white man.

Returning from the campaign, the General found that he did not have enough food for his horses and rather than let them die of starvation, he ordered several of them disposed of.

When the first settlers came to the valley, they discovered the white bones of the horses, and named the community "Horse Heads."

In later years, the name of the community was written as one word, as it is today.

Horseheads is the most important village in Chemung County and in its earlier years, vied with what is now the City of Elmira as the location of the County Seat.

Until the introduction of the Primary System of selecting candidates, the village was a meeting place for political conventions of all parties. The old Pritchard Hall was the main meeting place where gathered many men who later gained state and national prominence.

Among these were the late David B. Hill, who became governor of the state, a senator of the United States and who was an aspirant for the presidency of the United States.

One of the first businesses in the village was a log tannery, located about where Messing’s Cigar Store now stands on Hanover Square.

The village continued to grow in size, with the establishment of dry good stores, several groceries and hotels developing a business section. By 1855, the village was forced to expand its limits for the first time, an action that was to develop several times in its later history.

The entire business portion of the village was destroyed on Aug 12, 1862 by a fire that originated in the barn of one of the hotels. The hotel, and all the buildings on the west side of S. Main St. and the south side of W. Franklin St. burned down to the ground.

The village recovered quickly from the effects of the fire, however, and soon new business blocks were constructed, some of which are still standing today.

Board sidewalks were installed and the minutes of the village board frequently recorded the action of the board in ordering a resident to put a new "plank" in the sidewalk.

In 1866, the village appointed its first health officer. It was only shortly thereafter that the village board, apparently plagued by the tardiness of board members attending the regular sessions, agreed to levy a fine of 50 cents on board members who arrived late for the board meetings.

As the result of a citizens’ petition submitted to the board, the village purchased its first fire equipment in 1873. The change in the times is indicated by the fact that all the apparatus, including an engine, was purchased for only $6,000.00. Similar equipment today would cost four times that amount.

The equipment purchase resulted in the organization of the first fire department in the village.

The village on July 17, 1900 received estimates from two different firms for the installation of a complete electric wiring system. The cost of the job was set at an estimated $21,000. There was to be an annual cost of about $2,000 to keep the system in repair.

Both proposals were submitted to a public vote and both were defeated by large majorities.

Just two years later, in July of 1902, the Citizens Telephone Co. was granted a franchise to erect poles to provide the village with new telephone service. Another franchise was granted to the American Telephone and Telegraph Co. the following December.

It wasn’t until 1904, however, that the Elmira Water, Light and Railway Co. was finally given permission to erect poles in the village that would bring electric lights and power to the community.

To celebrate the installation of the electric system, the businessmen of the village threw a grand ball at the Platt House, which was located at the site of the present branch office of the Elmira Bank & Trust Co. on Hanover Square. The whole village turned out for the gala event.

The growth of the village for 30 years, starting in 1910, was practically at a standstill. While the population did not decrease the increase over the span of the three decades was only about 100 persons a decade.

The village and its residents seemed to stop for a rest, living on the exciting adventures of the past, and planning a course for the years to come.


NOW

Census figures since the turn of the century indicate that the main growth of the village has occurred in the past 10 years, which can be considered in this case as the present era.

In 1902, the village census showed 2,035 residents. By 1940, the population had increased by less than 500 persons. The latest figures, compiled in the last census in 1950, show the population of the village to be 3,600.

The village then, grew twice as fast in the past decade as it had in the preceding 40 years.

This figure does not include the housing sub-division erected just south of Victory Heights in the past two years.

The growth of the village in the past dozen years can be attributed to several reasons, most prominent of which would be its industrial expansion.

It will doubtless be agreed that the start of the village expansion in 1940 was the result of the decision by the Federal Government to locate the Army supply depot just north of the village.

At the height of its operation during the war years, close to 2,000 persons were employed at the Army depot.

And after the war, instead of returning to their original homes, most of the people who came here to work at the project decided to remain here.

As more people settled in Horseheads, it became more necessary to expand the boundaries of the village. In the past 10 years, the village have been expanded a half dozen times.

These included:

An extension to the south along Lake St. to the Latta Brook Rd. in 1942.

Annexation of Victory Heights, a group of brick apartments on Grand Central Ave., in 1943.

Annexation of a strip of land on the west side of Grand Central Ave. across from Victory Heights in 1946.

Annexation of the Holding Point area north of the village to the Wygant Rd. in 1948.

Extension of the boundary south along Grand Central Ave. to include the 96-home sub-division built by Modern Elmira Homes, Inc. in 1950.

And the last, in August, 1951, to include the new Westinghouse Corporation’s Electronic Tube Division plant at West Junction.

The village is expanding in all directions. No matter which way you travel either entering or leaving Horseheads, you will see new homes recently built, new homes being built and entire subdivisions laid out with temporary streets ready for the location of new homes.

The Horseheads of the future will be a village of good, substantial peacetime industry, coupled with the most desirable living available in the southern or central part of New York State.

The growth of the village in the past 10 years has been rapid---but it has also been well-planned.

*********

INDUSTRY AND THE FUTURE

These two words are ideally suited in consideration of the prospects of an ever expanding industrial development in the village.

Perhaps one of the better assets the village has industrial wise is the Horseheads Industrial Center, the former government supply depot.

The private owners of the property are already working on the expansion of facilities, with the construction of a new building now at a cost of several hundred thousand dollars.

And more has been promised.

Horseheads is ideally located and has to attract industry.

It is strategically situated with services available from the Pennsylvania, Erie, Lehigh Valley and Lackawanna Railroads. It is within overnight trucking distance with all the major cities and ports on the Eastern Seaboard.

With the new planned multi-million connecting link with the state arterial thruway, its value as an industrial center will be even more greatly enhanced.

Horseheads has received state-wide recognition for keeping its tax rate at a minimum and even decreasing it when municipalities throughout the country are finding it necessary to increase.

Living conditions could not be more desirable, especially for the family group. Churches of five denominations are represented in the village. School facilities are excellent.

Newest industry in the village is the new Westinghouse Corp. plant at West Junction, and there will be more industries to come.

The basic economy of the village has for several years been anchored to a group of several small industries that while small, are solid and substantial.

The Dean & Lee Feed Mill at West Junction is expanding its operations and is breaking into the foreign market. At the present time the mill is shipping a half dozen carloads of feed monthly to Bermuda with plans of opening a territory in Puerto Rico in the future.

The Marshall Feed Mill, closer into the village, is shipping feed throughout the country.

The Commercial Screw Machine Works, producers of parts for radio, television sets, automobiles and electrical appliances, is receiving orders from throughout the country. The firm is locally owned and originated in Horseheads.

The Consolidated Brick Co., one of the oldest industries in the village, ships brick by rail and trucks to all sections of the country.

The Horseheads Livestock Market, dealing in cattle sales and auto auctions for a radius of 100 miles around Horseheads, is doing a $15 million annual business.

These are but a few of the smaller industries. These, plus the desirable location of Horseheads from the standpoint of industry, plus the desirable living conditions, hold high promise of things to come.

Industrial development and expansion, the solid type of industry which promises prosperity for generations to come, coupled with the sound planning of civic and community groups in the villages, indeed mark Horseheads for a bright and prosperous future.

SCHOOLS FOR OUR CHILDREN

The development of the school system in Horseheads has been one of steady progress for the past century and a half.

It was probably back in the early 1800s that the first school was built in the Town of Horseheads on the property on S. Main St. where Wigsten Farms is located today.

Typical of the schools at that time, the single-story, one-room structure was made of rough logs.

It had its recitation bench at the front of the room, the old water bucket and the big oak heater.

About 1815, a two-story frame community building was built where Teal Park is located today. For some 34 years, this combination school house and church was the center of learning for students in the village.

This building in time also became too small and about 1880, close by in the same area, a four-room building was erected. This same school house was used by almost three generations of school children.

By the late 1880s, the Teal Park school house became too small to house the rapidly growing school population.

About 1888, certain members of the school board began the agitate for a new building, to be located on the corner of Sayre St. and Grand Central Ave. Cost of the proposed new building was not to exceed $23,000.

Although opposition to the plan was keen, the proposal was approved and four years later, in 1892, the new brick building with eight large rooms and four smaller rooms was dedicated.

In less than 12 years, this building too was overcrowded and once again the necessity to build loomed in front of the community. After some discussion, however, the school board agreed on the addition of an $18,000 addition on the west side of the building.

The new addition was completed in 1906 and the Horseheads School was able to offer a full high school curriculum, in addition to a grade school education.

By this time, the school population had grown until it numbered about 500 students, taught by 17 instructors.

Again in 1923, it became apparent that the school facilities would have to be expanded. The Board of Education considered first still another addition to the old building, but this proposal was dropped as unsound.

It was proposed finally that additional land be purchased on the west side of Center St. directly across from the old building for the construction of a new high school. Cost of the new building was not to exceed $220,000.

On the night of Nov. 12, 1923, the voters approved the purchase of the land and the erection of the new school.

The new building, providing for a junior and senior high school in one building, was dedicated in 1928. In 1950, 40 teachers were needed to administer to the educational needs of more than 1,000 students. Over 30 subjects were being taught in the school that year.

Again in 1950, crowded school conditions were apparent. In an effort to solve the problem, residents in some 36 separate school districts in the northern part of Chemung County voted overwhelmingly to centralize into the Horseheads Central School District.

The new Horseheads Central School Board was faced with the problem that it would soon have 3,000 students to accommodate.

When school assumed for the 1952-53 school year, there were 3,300 students enrolled on the first day.

The school board, following centralization, set up a school building program which they felt would be needed to meet the needs of the district that would cost an estimated $4.1 million.

Voters in the district defeated the move by a large margin. A Citizens’ Committee of 100 was organized to study the problem and to make a recommendation to the Board of Education of a school construction program that would be acceptable to the voters.

The committee came back with a plan for the construction of three new grade schools, an addition to the present high school building, renovation of the present grade school building and an addition to the grade school at Breesport.

Cost of the program was estimated at $2.8 million and needed only a simple majority for approval.

The program was approved and plans are now moving ahead for construction of the new building, all of the latest design, that will provide the best facilities for the children.

Through the years, there have been many persons who have worked untiringly in their efforts to improve the educational facilities for the children of Horseheads.

It would be impossible to name all those who have contributed of their time, with no compensation except the knowledge that they would someday have the best for the children.

In the forefront in striving for better school facilities is Chester A. Moore, for many years head of the Horseheads Board of Education and presently clerk of the Central School Board.

Mrs. William J. Wigsten, who served as first president of the Central School Board, was also among those who worked without letup in getting the new construction program rolling.

Also to be mentioned is C. J. Wheater, supervising principal in the Central School District, who has guided the administration of the school system through the difficult transition period following the approval of the centralization program.

OFFICERS OF THE SCHOOL BOARD…

Lawrence Shappee, president

Chester A. Moore, clerk

C. J. Wheater, supervising principal

Pauline G. Bush, district superintendent

TRUSTEES…

Thomas P. Lynch

Shirley Peck

Jesse Perry

Donald M. Wilbur

Mrs. William Coughlin

William J. Myers Jr.

M. Insley Roy

Mrs. William Smith

Meetings are held the third Monday of each month at 8 pm at the Horseheads High School.

First Baptist Church
 

Bible School 9:45 am
Morning Worship 11:00 am
Youth Groups 6:45 pm
Evening Service 7:45 pm
Prayer & Bible Study Hour 7:30 pm

 

RADIO BROADCASTS

"Morning Light" (WCBA) (1350 kl)----8:30 am Saturdays

"Morning Light" (WCBA) (1350 kl)----9:00 am Sundays

The First Baptist Church of Horseheads, NY, does not substitute
 
Science for Scripture Profession for Possession
Reason for Revelation Programs for Power
Theories for Truth Good for God
Culture for Conversion Speculation for Salvation
Benevolence for Blood Jubilation for Justification
Goodness for Grace Feelings for Faith
Sociability for Spirituality Play for Praise
Reformation for Regeneration Pep for Prayer

Horseheads Church deals only with the remedies that have stood the test of the ages. We have no cheap substitutes.

ST. MARY’S CHURCH

408 W. Broad St.

MASSES
 

Sunday  8:00, 9:30, 11:00 am
Holy Days 6:30, 7:30 am

CONFESSIONS

Saturday and eve of the First Friday and Holy Days--7 to 8 pm. Afternoons by Appointment.

COMMUNION
 
First Friday 7:00, 7:30, 8 am.

Rev. Francis J. Reilly, Pastor.


The Civil War had just closed and it was in the year 1866 when the present St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church at the corner of Main and Steuben Sts. Was "put under process of erection."

The new building was dedicated on Oct 8, 1867.

As an incorporated parish, St. Matthew’s called its first Rector, the Rev. Henry Martyn Brown, on Oct 5, 1862. He served at St. Matthew’s for nine years, during which time he presented more than 50 persons for Confirmation.

The Rev. Mr. Brown numbered among his parishioners "Squire" Hullett, the grandfather of Arnot Rathbun of Elmira, Daniel Bennett, great-grandfather of the VanDuzer family in town and uncle of Mark M. Taber, and the aged Darius Bentley, early settler and first judge of the Village of Horseheads. The late Elmira Hibbard was also a very young member of the congregation.

As a small parish in a small village, St. Matthew’s Church has experienced a varied career. At times it would seem that survival was dubious, yet the "faithful" of each generation have sturdily carried on until today our church stands solidly in the community.

At the moment, St. Matthews’s Church is truly "on the mark", ready to enter a new phase in her career---a phase which demands her own resident rector, physical improvements, better equipment and, best of all, an impetus to a spiritual revival among Episcopal folk in the village.


FIRST METHODIST CHURCH
Grand Central Ave. and Broad St.

Horseheads, NY

SERVICES EVERY SUNDAY

10 a. m., Church School classes for all ages.
11 a. m., Morning Worship.
6 p. m., Youth Fellowship.

Evening and mid-week services as announced.

The First Methodist Church was organized and incorporated Nov 25, 1834 after the Methodists of the community had been holding meetings in homes and a nearby school house for several years.

The first trustees of the incorporated society included Samuel Westlake, Alexander G. Wiggins, William F. Hull, Phillip Smith and Richard L. Dusenberry. The first regular minister was the Rev. Thomas J. Champion.

The first church building was built at the present location in 1834, serving until 1905 when the present building was erected.

In 1950, construction was started to enlarge the facilities of the existing building to accommodate the growing congregation and church school.

The new building, known as Bethany Center, was formally opened for worship by resident Bishop W. Earl Ledden on Oct 14, 1951.

The Rev. Earl A. Noyes is present minister of the church.
 

FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

Grand Central Ave. and Broad St.

Horseheads, NY

SUNDAY MORNING SERVICES

9:45 am, Church School with adult class.

11:00 am, Morning Worship

Evening and mid-week services as announced.

The Rev. Waldo H. Kihlstrom, pastor.

HORSEHEADS FIRE DEPARTMENT

Fire protection in Horseheads is provided through a force working with no less than seven pieces of apparatus.

Although the first fire company was organized in the village prior to the turn of the century, the material here presented will include only the past 20 years.

Prior to 1932, the Horseheads Fire Department was composed of two companies--The Acme and Pioneer Hose Companies. In 1931, a movement was started to reorganize into one active company---a move that was completed in January, 1942.

The new group was known as the Active Fire Company of Horseheads. At the same time, the Exempt Fire Association was formed, together with a Fire Commission.

Active Company officers included James Lawrence, chief; George B. Curns, company president; Ralph Farr, secretary, and James Donahue, treasurer. Officers of the Exempt Association included Eugene F. VanName, president; Dennis Murphy, vice-president; W. D. Reynolds, secretary, and Mary MacDonald, treasurer.

Fire commissioners were O. D. Eisenhart, Henry Johnson, Roy D. Martin, Joseph Lynch, Arthur Magee and James F. Lawrence.

Town Clerk Joseph Lynch was named first chief of the new fire department but illness early in 1932 caused his resignation and James Lawrence served as chief for the remainder of 1932 and in 1933.

A program of fire drills and fire fighting classes was inaugurated and the unit developed into an expert and efficient fire-fighting group.

The apparatus of the department consisted of a 1926 American-LaFrance pumper and a 1917 Model "T" Ford chemical and hose carrier. In 1939, the Ford was considered obsolete and the village purchased a used one-ton Chevrolet truck chassis on which members of the company constructed a hose and equipment body.

The new truck was completed early in 1940 in time for the sixth annual convention of the New York-Penn Firemen’s Association which was held in Horseheads that year.

Members of the company continued attendance at fire schools and their efficiency was recognized by area companies as the local group continued to take the majority of prizes during annual conventions.

A Ladies’ Auxiliary was organized a short time later, with the women serving coffee and sandwiches to firemen at the scene of a fire and developing a well-organized parade unit to present exhibitions at conventions.

The company also inaugurated an annual dance and minstrel show, proceeds of which were used to sponsor a Christmas party for the children in the village.

In 1943, the village purchased a 1937 Ford chassis and the firemen went to work in the construction of another truck body. This truck was designated as truck 2, which gave the village two pumpers which are still in operation.

Again in 1947, the members of the Fire Department asked the village to purchase a 500-gallon pumper that had been used by the Army at the Holding and Reconsignment Point. This truck was designated at truck 3.

During the intervening years, the village had expanded and the Fire Department expanded to cover the larger area. About the same time, discussion was started on the problem of how the Active Hose Company could continue to handle calls outside the village limits and at the same time give village residents adequate protection.

The problem was solved when some members of the department and other volunteers formed the Town & Country Fire Department, purchased their own equipment and scheduled a system to answer calls outside the village.

They also agreed to assist in fighting fires in the village when they were needed.

In 1950, the village added its newest and brightest piece of equipment, a new emergency truck. A public drive was set up to finance the purchase of the truck. The goal was set at $5,000.

The drive far exceeded its goal and the new truck was purchased. It is one of the finest pieces of emergency equipment in the Southern Tier.

With the purchase of the new truck, the department also acquired another fire station on John St. Present officers for the department include George Sullivan, chief; Frank Goodyear, assistant chief; Wayne Ferguson, second assistant chief, and George Sullivan, master mechanic.

Active Fire Company officers are Joseph Lawlor, president; Harold Curns, vice-president; James Donahue, treasurer, and Lester Kenner, secretary. Directors are Leon Graul, Gerson Pfaff and Roger Slocum.
 

Our Village Police Department

Horseheads has every reason to be proud of the police and fire protection it is able to provide for its residents.

The Horseheads Police Department is probably better equipped and more efficient than any other department in the state in villages of 5,000 population.

The department has three full-time officers and six special policemen, with a radio-equipped prowl car that provides service and protection on a 24-hour basis.

It wasn’t until 1946, when the village began to experience its greatest influx of permanent residents, that the police department went into operation on a 24-hour basis.
 

Under former Chief Marcus V. Dilmore, a complete record system was instituted to record all arrests, complaints and accident investigations.

In was only a short time after the City of Elmira instituted radio communication that Horseheads became the first to join the radio communication network in the area.

Now if the patrolman happens to be out in the village away from the office, a resident need only call the Elmira Police Station and ask for police aid.

Within minutes, the radio dispatched car in the village department is at the trouble spot.

The department is now under the command of Police Chief Stanley Kowalski. He is assisted by Sergeant Carl Christmas and Patrolman Joseph Harnas.

Former Chief Dilmore is retained in the department as identification officer. The six special policemen, on call at any time their services are needed, include Alfred Marcoccia, Wayne Ferguson, Leon Graul, Harry McCann and Joseph H. Lynch.

In addition to the special police, there are also 12 fire police, under the direction of Joseph H. Lynch, who do special duty at any time when there is a fire in the village.

These forces can be augmented if need be, in time of emergency, with 25 to 30 members of the Civil Defense Auxiliary Police detachment, which is also under the jurisdiction of Chief Kowalski.

There are also staffs of five guards at the Horseheads Holding Center Corp. and six at the Westinghouse Plant who are listed as special village police officers and can be called on in an emergency.

OUR HORSEHEADS WOMEN’S CLUB

The Horseheads Women’s Club was organized on January 12, 1944 by a small group of women in the village.

Forerunner of the organization was the American Women’s Volunteer Service and British Relief, which regularly met and completed several projects during World War II.

The aims and purposes of the Women’s Club are set to sponsor various community projects and social activities among its membership.

Shortly after its organization, the club adopted its first project, that of sponsoring a monthly dinner for the benefit of members of the Elmira Blind Association.

The dinners have been held, along with special events in the holiday season, for the past seven years.

For the next several years after its organization, the women’s group, which had grown steadily from its original membership of 50 women, devoted most of its time to the project of organizing a public library for Horseheads. The full history of the library is noted later in this booklet.

By 1949, the club had expanded to such an extent that members agreed to cooperate with the state organization and on Feb. 5, 1949, the Horseheads Women’s Club became affiliated with the New York State Foundation of Women’s Clubs, Inc.

In October of the following year, the club organized the Horseheads Art Club, with membership available to the public.

The Art Club has sponsored two exhibitions, held at the library, which have been attended by well over 300 persons.

In April of 1951, the Horseheads Garden Club was organized, with membership open to the public. The Garden Club distributed close to 225 packages of flower seed to school children, and held an exhibition when the flowers were in bloom, awarding prizes to those children who entered the most beautiful blooms.

The club also dresses dolls for the Artic League, awards cash prizes annually for outstanding school students, has a welfare committee to assist needy school children and has instituted a loan closet out hospital beds, crutches and other supplies.

GIRL SCOUTS IN HORSEHEADS

The Girl Scouting movement in Horseheads was first organized on Mar. 4, 1933.

Co-organizers of the movement were Mrs. Clifford F. Leet and Mrs. Donald L. Brooks.

The Girl Scout program here has progressed through the years so that at the present time, there are in Horseheads a total of seven Girl Scout Troops plus three Brownie Troops.

Both groups hold weekly meetings that are called to meet at various locations in the community. However, most of the meetings are held at the school.

In addition to the regular Girl Scouting program throughout the year, the Horseheads Girl Scouts almost every year sponsor a Day Camp which is held at the Beaverbrook Rod & Gun Club grounds just outside of Horseheads.

This two-week period of outddoor camping life has proven very popular with the children and has received the hearty approval of their parents too.

Mrs. Ted Hodge and Mrs. Clarence Hoyt are at the present time co-presidents of the Horseheads Girl Scout Council.

HORSEHEADS BOY SCOUTS

Horseheads has a well-rounded program of Boy Scout activities.

There are two Scout Troops in addition to a Cub Pack Unit, which is now celebrating its tenth year.

The Scout Troops are sponsored by the American Legion and the Presbyterian Church. The Legion sponsored troop has weekly meetings at the Legion Home on W. Broad St. The other troop meets weekly in the Presbyterian Church Club Rooms.

The Cub Pack is sponsored by the Horseheads Rotary Club, and has a membership at the present time of about 80 youngsters. Pack meetings are held monthly at the school and den meetings are held weekly.

Jack Slocum is Scoutmaster of the Legion sponsored Troop 4 and Leonard Andrus is the Scoutmaster of Troop 44, sponsored by the Presbyterian Church.

Robert Cullen is Cubmaster of the Cub Pack and the Rev. Earl A. Noyes is chairman of the Pack committee.

Any information on the local Scouting activities can be obtained through the Scoutmasters or through the Sullivan Trail Council office.

ROTARY IN HORSEHEADS

Early in the spring of 1927, the Elmira Rotary Club initiated a campaign to form Rotary Clubs in suburban areas. The idea caught in Horseheads and on April 23, 1927, an informal meeting was held to discuss a Horseheads Rotary Club.

Then on May 9, 1927, in the Presbyterian club house, the Horseheads Rotary Club was officially launched under charter Number 2576 of Rotary International.

Mark M. Taber served as first president of the group and Frank Campbell filled the post of vice-president. John Perkins and Ward Kinley served as treasurer and secretary respectively.

Mark Taber and George Lee are the only remaining active charter members of the club. The first new member taken in was Roy D. Martin, who was accepted June 27, 1927. He is still an active member.

From its original membership of 27, the club had grown to 59 members in 1950-51. There have been 27 presidents in the 26 years since its organization but only four secretaries.

Regular meeting place is St. Matthew’s Church Club Rooms every Wednesday night.

OUR PUBLIC LIBRARY

The Horseheads Public Library, located on the second floor of Fire Station 2 on John St., was organized and set up by the Horseheads Women’s Club over a span of five years.

On April 3, 1944, just three months after the club had been activated, its members agreed to donate at least one book each to start a small circulating library.

The library, staffed by volunteers of the Women’s Club, was soon forced to move into larger quarters. In November of 1944, a scant six months after it was started, the library had over 100 books of its own and about 500 books it was lending through the Steele Memorial Library in Elmira.

A gala program was held to mark the opening of the library, with village and county dignitaries attending the opening ceremonies.

It attendance were Mrs. H. A. Hamilton, chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Steele Memorial Library; Miss Lois Lowman, county librarian; Herman G. Dunbar, then chairman of the Chemung County Board of Supervisors; Supervisor J. Anson Saunders, chairman of the Library Committee of the Board of Supervisors, and Arthur H. Deyo, Mayor of the Village of Horseheads.

Mrs. Clifford F. Leet presided at the opening.

By March of 1946, books contributed to the library had grown to such an extent that the books borrowed from the Steele Memorial Library were returned.

In April of 1949, the Club had an offer of the space it presently occupies on John St. The section of the building that was to be used by the library was greatly in need of repair.

For the first time since it was organized, the Club requested financial support to help in making repairs on the building.

Over $4,000 was realized through the public request for financial aid and on July 28, 1949, the library was opened in its present location.

The library as of December 31, 1951 had in circulation 4,240 books, 2,526 of which were owned by the library.

The rooms are used now for the meeting of the Women’s Club and various other groups, including the Art Club and the Garden Club.

EUGENE ZIMMERMAN

Known throughout the country as "Zim", renowned for his ability as a cartoonist, was a native of Horseheads and spent many years of his life here. This memorial to "Zim" stands in Teal Park in the heart of the community.

POSTAL SERVICE IN HORSEHEADS

The Village of Horseheads is served by a First Class Post Office. The designation was made by the Federal Government in July, 1951.

The Horseheads Post Office, like the village, has grown and expanded its services through the years.

In the 1920s, the Post Office was located on Hanover Square at the site presently occupied by a grocery chain store. Early in 1930, the Post Office was relocated to the present site of the Horseheads Town Clerk’s office on John St.

It remained in that location for several years before moving to its present location in the new modern building on S. Main St. at W. Broad St.

The Horseheads Post Office at the present time is selling about 40,000 stamps a year and is handling millions of pieces of mail.

There are a dozen employees at the Post Office. These include two city mail carriers, two auxiliary carriers and three inside mail clerks.

William A. Danaher is Horseheads Postmaster and Miss Ruth Breen serves as assistant postmaster.

HORSEHEADS MASONIC LODGE

The Horseheads Masonic Lodge was organized in 1855 as Horseheads Lodge 364, F&AM.

The club at the present time has 227 members.

Meetings are held on the first and third Monday of each month at 7:30 in the evening at the lodge meeting rooms on the third floor at 115 Main St.

The club rooms of the lodge are located on the second floor of the building.

Officers of the lodge include:

Robert Pease, Master

Harold Blodgett, Senior Warden

Kenneth L. Shull, Junior Warden

James Donahue, Secretary

HORSEHEADS CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

The Horseheads Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1940 by Earl Shults.

In the comparatively short time of its existence, its members and officers have worked tirelessly in their efforts to bring more business to the community.

Through its various committees it has continuously endeavored to guard the residents and merchants of the village against unwelcome solicitors and businesses, while at the same time spearheading civic improvement projects and any program that will bring to the community solid, diversified industry.

Officers of the group include:

Howard C. Carpenter, president

Bernard Kahn, vice-president

Larry Murphy, secretary

Earl F. Osmun, treasurer

Directors of the organization include Mr. Carpenter, Mr. Kahn, William Shine, Charles T. Lyon, Harryty J. Kahler, Wilson T. Day Sr., Charles Shull, Olin Osmun and Clive A. Blowers.

HORSEHEADS HISTORICAL SOCIETY

The Horseheads Historical Society was organized on Oct 2, 1952 "for the perpetuation of the history of Horseheads", in the words of the charter.

A historical display was set up in the Reporter office which evinced much interest and documents and pictures have been contributed to the collection.

The goal of the society is to find permanent quarters where the collection can be housed and displayed. Present plans include a work bee to remodel the second floor of the Franklin street town voting booth.

Another project which will be undertaken this year is the issuing of a booklet on the town’s history.

Temporary headquarters for the society is in the Reporter office and officers are: Joseph Burns, president; Mrs. Ray N. Margeson, vice-president; Guy T. Schivane, treasurer, and Mrs. Virginia LaBadie, secretary.

HORSEHEADS LIONS CLUB

The Horseheads Lions Club is the youngest fraternal group in the village.

It was organized early in December of 1952 with 41 charter members. It was chartered under the title of the Lions Club of Horseheads, NY.

The group meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 7 pm at the Hickory House on the Watkins Rd.

The aims of the organization are to promote good fellowship, commerce, civic and industrial betterment and uphold the principles of good government.

Officers of the group include:

Charles H. Goodyear Jr., president; Charles Blackwell, first vice-president; Douglas Banfield, second vice-president; Minor F. Jones, third vice-president; Robert Hammond, secretary, Dewey Whipple, treasurer; Francis Goodnough, tail twister, and Robert Baldwin, lion tamer.

Directors include:

Melvin Bostwick, Chester White, J. Dorn Dilmore and Lewis F. Whitaker.

THE HORSEHEADS GRANGE

The Horseheads Grange was first organized in 1874 with a total of 32 charter members. Six years later, in 1880, the group surrendered its charter.

It wasn’t until 27 years later, in 1907, that the Grange movement in Horseheads again gained impetus. The group was issued a new charter in 1907. At that time, there were 17 members in the unit.

For many years, the group held meetings in the second-floor rooms over the Messing Store on Hanover Square.

In 1939, however, the Horseheads Grange dedicated a new building on W. Franklin St. that provided a roomy, well-equipped meeting place not only for the Grange, but in the past years has also been used as a meeting place by various community organizations.

At present, there are about 100 members of the Horseheads Grange. William Segar is Grange master, Mrs. Homer Lattin serves as secretary and Mrs. Cornelia Syowe is the lecturer.

HORSEHEADS AMERICAN LEGION POST

The Bentley-Trumble Post, American Legion at Horseheads was chartered in 1919.

For some years, meetings were held at various places in the village. In 1924, a fund drive was started to raise funds for the construction of a Legion Home. Six years later, in 1930, the new home was completed and opened on South Ave. near Chemung St.

With the start of World War 2, the Post membership began to grow and a new home on W. Broad St. was purchased.

The present Legion Home, the former Captain VanDuzer homestead, was entirely renovated inside. The home now has a ladies’ meeting room, a kitchen, large basement and clubrooms.

Regular meetings are held each Monday night. The post home is open each night except Tuesday from 5 pm to 1 am.

The Post has a present membership of 240 with a campaign for 300 members by 1954. Reynolds Kelly is the present Post Commander. Vicecommanders include Ray Williams, Herbert Freeland and Charles Shappee.

Eli Whitehouse is post adjutant.

THE ODD FELLOWS LODGE

Chemung Valley Lodge Number 419, IOOF, of Horseheads, New York, was organized as the Breesport Lodge on January 23, 1875.

It was later that the lodge became known as Chemung Valley Lodge.

At the time of the formation of the lodge, several of the charter members held the rank of Past Grand.

Chemung Valley Lodge at the present time has a membership of over 100 members. Lodge meetings are held every Thursday evening at 8 o’clock in the lodge on W. Franklin St.

The meetings rooms are located in a commercial building owned by the lodge. Chemung Valley Lodge can go on record as never having missed a single weekly session.

The members of the Lodge visit the sick and offer death benefits. They also maintain several homes for the aged members of the organization and orphaned children of deceased members.

These are only a few of the ways in which the organization promotes the welfare of mankind in its practice of friendship, love and truth.

AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY

Bentley-Trumble Unit 442, American Legion Auxiliary meets the first Monday of each month at the American Legion Home, on Broad Street, Horseheads, at 8 pm.

The American Legion Auxiliary is a civilian organization of women. Its membership is limited to mothers, wives, daughters and sisters (1) of members of the American Legion of (2) of deceased veterans of World Wars I and II and the Korean conflict and to those women who of their own right are eligible to membership in the American Legion.

The creed of the organization is expressed in the Preamble of its Constitution as follows:

"For God and Country, we associate ourselves together for the following purposes:

To uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America; to maintain law and order; to foster and perpetuate a one hundred per cent Americanism; to preserve the memories and incidents of our associations during the Great Wars, to inculate a sense of individual obligation to the Community, State and Nation; to combat the autocracy of both the classes and the masses; to make right the master of might; to promote peace and good will on earth; to safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom and democracy; to participate in and contribute to the accomplishments of the aims and purposes of The American Legion; to consecrate and sanctify our association by our devotion to mutual helpfullness."
 

The purposes of the Auxiliary are:

To serve The American Legion in all its activities, to support it in all its interests, and to promote its welfare; to hold in sacred remembrance the names of all who gave their lives in defense of civilization in the Great Wars; to lend its united efforts to the task of impressing the minds of the youth of our land, and through them the generations to come, with the necessity of a staunch and steadfast support of the Constitution of the United States, with a deep, abiding love and reverence for our Flag and all that it represents, so that the noble sacrifice and service to the whole world, by those who are now forming The American Legion, may not have been rendered in vain.

The local unit was first organized as Richard E. Bentley Unit 442, American Legion Auxiliary, late in the year 1924 and was granted a charter by the National Organization in May, 1925.

In 1946 a new charter was granted as Bentley-Trumble Unit 442, to conform with the change in name of the local American Legion Post.

The officers of the unit for 1952-53 are:

President: Mrs. Edward Willett

First vice-president: Mrs. Edwin Bennett

Second vice-president: Mrs. Roy Williams

Third vice-president: Mrs. O. D. Eisenhart

Secretary: Mrs. Robert Little

Treasurer: Mrs. James Wheaton

Executive Committee:

Mrs. Amel Ramstein

Mrs. Emmett Oliphant

Mrs. O. Judson Eisenhart

County Committee:

Mrs. Edward Willett

Mrs. Edwin Bennett

Mrs. O. Judson Eisenhart

Mrs. Arthur J. Pelletier

EAST SUNDAY DATES
 
1953 April 5
1954 April 18
1955 April 10
1956 April 1
1957 April 21
1958 April 6
1959 March 29
1960 April 17
1961 April 2
1962 April 22
1963 April 14
1964 March 29
1965 April 18
1966 April 10
1967 March 26
1968 April 14
1969 April 6
1970 March 29
1971 April 11
1972 April 2

 

The earliest date on which Easter Sunday has fallen in comparatively recent times was March 22, 1918. The time of the celebration of the principal church days which depend upon Easter is as follows:

BEFORE EASTER
 
Septuagesima Sunday 9 weeks
First Sunday in Lent 6 weeks
Ash Wednesday (beginning of Lent) 46 days
Palm Sunday 7 days

 

AFTER EASTER
 
Rogation Sunday 5 weeks
Ascension Day 40 days
Pentecost (Whitsunday) 7 weeks
Trinity Sunday 8 weeks

 

HORSEHEADS EASTERN STAR

Horseheads Chapter No. 423 OES came into existence on the night of Monday, April 27, 1908, when a special meeting of wives, daughters, sisters, mothers and widows of Master Masons was called for the purpose of organizing a chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star to be known as Horseheads Chapter. The meeting was held in the Masonic Temple at Horseheads.

Mrs. Bianca Burns of Glen Springs Chapter, acting as Grand Marshal, called the meeting to order. The meeting was then opened in regular form with the officers of the Glen Springs Chapter in the chairs. The first to receive the degree of the OES were Miss Katherine Miller and Miss Maude Hibbard, now Mrs. Maude Judson.

On November 23, 1908, the chapter was constituted. Ten of the original members are living. Four are members of the chapter and are actively interested in it. They are: Mrs. Edna Bowers, Mrs. Judson, Mrs. Aulda Baker and Miss Miller. Mrs. Myrtle Roberts, another charter member, died recently.

The Past Matrons Club is an active organization with at least twenty-five members. The officers are Mrs. Henry Petzke, president; Mrs. George Leisenring, secretary-treasurer.

Three Circles have been formed from the membership, the Southern, Central and Shappee. The groups meet once a month for a social time and to make plans for projects within the Order.

Officers of the Circles are as follows: Southern, Mrs. Ervin Whittaker, president; Mrs. Leo Cherry, vice-president; Mrs. Ray Lain, secretary-treasurer. Central Circle officers are as follows: Mrs. Wayne Ferguson, president; Mrs. A. S. Shopes, vice-president; Mrs. Robert Towner, secretary-treasurer. Shappee Circle heads are: Mrs. John St. John, president; Mrs. Gordon Clark, vice-president; Mrs. Earl Gale, secretary-treasurer.

Recently elected heads of the Horseheads Chapter are: Mrs. Dolores Blodgett, worthy matron; Francis Trumble, worthy patron; Mrs. Harriet Trumble, association matron; Mrs. Helen Terwilliger, secretary; Mrs. Anne Mosel, treasurer.

At the annual meeting in November a total of 216 members was reported. There are thirty-two living past matrons and three past matrons.

Beaverbrook Rod & Gun Club

The Beaverbrook Rod & Gun Club was first organized in the early 1920s.

For several years, meetings were held in the homes of the various members, until the club purchased a site on E. Franklin St.

The club in the early days sponsored annual fox hunts and raised fish and pheasants to stock area streams and woodlands.

In the early 1930s the group was dissolved and its membership joined the Chemung County Rod & Gun Club.

About 1935, the club was reorganized under its original name and has been a separate unit since that time.

The club at the present time has an acre and a half site on E. Franklin St. where the club house is located. The club members still have fox hunts and raise pheasants to stock area woodlands.

The organization now has about 360 members.

Current officers include: Robert Moss, president; Joseph Barcomb, vice-president; H. A. Messing, secretary, and William Shine, treasurer.

HORSEHEADS REBEKAH LODGE

The Rebekah Lodge No. 513 was instituted December 16, 1913. Mrs. Flora E. Benjamin of Elmira Heights was the installing officer. There were twelve charter members of which only one is living, Earl Shults of West Broad St.

The charter members included George and Kate Braun, Iva and Earl Shults, Miles and Susie Breese, Carrie and D. L. Georgia, Frank and Fannie Jackson, and Thomas and Hebe Treat.

Mrs. Breese was elected noble grand; Hebe Treat, vice-grand; Iva Shults, secretary; Carrie Georgia, treasurer.

The lodge has a membership of 113. Plans are being made for the fortieth celebration this December.

The membership is headed by Mrs. Clifford West, noble grand; Mrs. Ayerie Comfort Sr., vice-grand; Mrs. Ray Lyon, secretary; Mrs. Christian Kambeitz, financial secretary, and Mrs. Ray N. Margeson, treasurer.

RULES FOR COMPUTING INTEREST

6-DAY BASIS

The following will be found to be excellent rules for finding the interest on any principal for any number of days. When the principal contains cents, point off four places from the right of the result to express the interest in dollars and cents. When the principal contains dollars only, point off two places.

Four per cent---Multiply the principal by the number of days to run, and divide by 90.

Five per cent---Multiply by number of days, and divide by 72.

Six per cent---Multiply by number of days, and divide by 60.

Eight per cent---Multiply by number of days, and divide by 45.

Nine per cent---Multiply by number of days, and divide by 40.

Ten per cent---Multiply by number of days, and divide by 36.

MEASUREMENTS AND TABLES

LINEAR MEASURE

12 inches (in.)---1 foot (ft.)

3 feet---1 yard (yd.)

5 ½ yards, or 16 ½ feet---1 rod (rd.)

320 rods, or 5,280 feet---1 miles (mi.)

SQUARE MEASURE

144 square inches (sq. in.)---1 square foot

9 square feet (sq. ft.)---1 square yard

30 ¼ square yards (sq. yds.)---1 square rod

160 square rods (sq. rds.)---1 acre (A)

640 acres---1 square mile

1 acre---4,840 sq. rds.---43,560 sq. ft

CUBIC MEASURE

11,728 cubic inches---1 cubic foot

27 cubic feet---1 cubic yard

128 cubic feet---1 cord

DRY MEASURE

2 pints---1 quart

8 quarts---1 peck

4 pecks---1 bushel

LIQUID MEASURE

2 pints---1 quart

4 quarts---1 gallon

63 gallons---1 hogshead

Horseheads Central Booster Club

The Horseheads Central Booster Club was organized Feb. 15, 1951, with Harold Ogden, president; Al Vater vice-president, and Mrs. Ernest Taylor, secretary and treasurer.

The club was officially started in 1950 under the leadership of former coach Stu Komer but did not get under way until 1951. The club was organized to further the interests of the community in helping to boost athletics in Horseheads.

The primary object of the club is to provide a banquet at the close of the sports program for all boys who participated in athletics during the current school term. Last year the club was host to 100 boys and girls, including the cheerleaders and band members, at the Second Annual Sports Banquet.

The club is open to everyone who is interested in helping boost athletics, including parents.

Schedule cards have been made available listing the games for each year, including score sheets at all home football games.

ACTIVE HOSE AUXILIARY

The Active Hose Company Auxiliary was organized March 4, 1940 for the purpose of helping the Fire Department entertain in August the New York-Pennsylvania Firemen’s Association at their sixth annual convention.

Eighteen charter members formed the group with Mrs. Thomas P. Lynch, president; Mrs. Leon Shafer, vice-president; Mrs. Ray N. Margeson, secretary; Mrs. Leon Jeffery, treasurer.

Plans were made immediately to make uniforms for the members so they could be a part of the marching unit representing Horseheads. Purple capes lined with orange satin were made by the group with matching orange satin overseas type hats.

Throughout the thirteen years the group has been formed many prizes have been won for the marching ability of the auxiliary. In 1950 new uniforms were purchased, including a banner.

The main objective of the auxiliary is to be ready at all times to lend assistance to the Fire Department when needed. The two groups have worked side by side many times throughout the night to help preserve life and property for the village residents. The auxiliary part is to supply the firemen with coffee and sandwiches. A well stocked supply case is maintained by the group in the kitchen at the village hall for all fire calls. A committee is appointed yearly by the president to be in charge of this work.

Four years ago the group sponsored the sale of Fire Prevention Seals. The money earned from this enterprise was used to further equip the kitchen. The second floor rooms, of the fire station, were remodeled by the group with the aid of the firemen. Groups turned out with pails, scrub brushes, paint brushes, etc., and the results were clean redecorated rooms.

For the past ten years the auxiliary has sponsored a community Halloween party for all children. This year six hundred children were entertained at the high school. Prizes totaling $75 were awarded to the children. Each child received a bag of candy, gum and balloons. Dancing following in the school gym for all teen agers and oldsters.

The group has expanded, with a total membership of forty-one. Officers for the year 1952-53 which were elected February, 1952, are: Mrs. George Councilman, president; Mrs. Bert Cook, vice-president; Mrs. Robert Cogsdill, secretary; Mrs. Harold Curns, treasurer.

The group meets every third Monday of the month at the fire department rooms.

Continued on Part Two of this Booklet

Chemung County NY

Published On 16 JUL 2006
By Joyce M. Tice

You are our welcome visitor since 16 JUL 2006