History of Chemung County 1892 - Towner
Chemung County NY
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History Sites
1892 History - Table of Contents (Towner)
1879 HIstory - Table of Contents
Photo byJoyce M. Tice
Ridge Road in Veteran
Our County and its People
A History of the Valley and County of Chemung
by Ausburn Towner, 1892






The Town that was named from a Veteran of two Wars - Its Location and Peculiarities -Preserved Cooley, the first Settler - Green Bently, the Veteran - Localities settled by New Englanders -Elder Ebenezer Mallory -An early Woolen Manufactory -Organization of the Town and its Officers -The Road that General Sullivan laid Out -Other Highways - Pine Valley - Its Earlier Industries - Its Churches - Other Societies -Millport, originally Millvale, almost a rival to Elmira -Startling events in its History -Its Churches and Schools - Its benevolent and secret Societies -Sullivanville -Enterprises at Ridge Farms - Postoffices of Veteran and Terry's Corners -A Township deserving of the Name it Bears.

THE town of Veteran lies upon the northern border of the county east of Catlin. The surface is mostly upland, the hills reaching an altitude Of 500 to 700 feet above the lower valleys. The soil is principally gravelly loam with some clay, and is of good quality. The assessed area of the town is 22,775 acres with a valuation Of $537,220 in 1890. Catherine Creek flows through the town, furnishing power for the mills which have been erected upon its banks The original growth of timber was mainly heavy pine, which has given place to cultivated farms rich in cereal wealth. In the early days of lumbering this product was hauled by teams to Havana, the choicest pine bringing only three to four dollars per thousand feet ! The construction of the Chemung Canal in 1833, which extended along the valley of Catherine Creek, gave an easier outlet and a better market in Utica, Albany, and New York.

A little more than a century has elapsed since the earliest grants of land or certificates of location were given by Gov. George Clinton to Preserved Cooley. These were three tracts, the first of sixty acres and the others of twenty-two and one-half acres each, granted March 23, 179 1. Other grants were three lots of 200 acres each to John Pazley, August 8, 1793 ; 200 acres to John Carpenter and Henry Wisner, January 28, 1794; 700 acres, partly in Catlin, to John Nicholson, November 15, 1792.

In 1798 Green Bently, a native of Rhode Island who had previously


settled near Wellsburg, purchased 300 acres of land in the west part of the town in the vicinity of the present village of Millport, where he built a log house opposite the dwelling of Mrs. Oliver Greene in recent years, which was built by Green Bently, jr. The name of Hubbard is associated with that of Hubbard's Run, a stream flowing into Catherine Creek. Hubbard built a log house near the site of the old Parsons Tavern and lived alone. He either met death tragically in an attack by wild animals or died in his seclusion, his body being afterward torn to pieces by them. Abiard Latten and two sons from Fairfield, Conn., settled in 1803 upon the farm latterly owned by Harvey Turner. In 1805 a settlement was made on the middle road east of Millport by families from Vermont and Connecticut. Among these were Elder Ebenezer Mallory, Daniel Parsons and his sons-in-law, David Banks, Nathan Bedient, and Zacheus Morehouse, and Augustus Lyon, David Coe, John Dailey, Asa Coe, Luther Coe, Hawkins Fanton, John McDougal, and Eli Banks. These were all sturdy people, ideal pioneers, While Elder Mallory wielded the " sword of the Spirit " he could also wield the axe and the bush hook. He cleared the first fallow, and one Sunday when his neighbors had assembled to listen to his preaching and his son had set the brush on fire he cut short his exhortation and pressed his hearers into the service of fighting the fire to avert the destruction of his house. The echo of his closing words on this occasion seemed to be, "- without works is dead."

In this neighborhood the first frame houses were erected, one or more of which have withstood the wear of long succeeding years. Here was the first distillery, which was soon succeeded by a school-house in the neighborhood; and then another distillery, as with only one there was an unequal balance between supply and demand. Few accessions were made to the new settlements for several years and the changes were unimportant.

Soon after 1 820 a new impulse was given to the growth and prosperity of the town. In 1823 Myron Collins from Chenango County, N. Y., erected a woolen factory at Millport. This was afterward used for the manufacture of furniture. In 1825 James Gifford purchased a part of the Bently farm and began the foundation of a village which he called 11 Millvale." Here he built a dwelling-house and a tannery. During


this year Erastus Crandall built the first store. About two years prior to this David Coe and Thomas McCarthy built the first grist-mill on the site of the Hoffner & Sherman mill. Soon after 1825 Eber Crandall, Amos Crandall, David Turner, Harvey Turner, John Turner, Allen Kendall, and William Van Duzer settled on the ridge road. Morris Hewitt, Welcome Mosher, and Welcome Mosher, jr., located on the middle road. About this time came others to Millport Valley, among whom were Richard Dearborn, John Egbert, P. S. Tanner, Benjamin Hackney, Jeremiah Hackney, Horton Frost, Ebenezer Longstreet, and Dr. Horace Seaman. J. D. Mandeville, Jervis Langdon, William H. Phillips, and Patrick Quinn came soon after. The first settlers in Pine Valley were Elijah and John L. Sexton, William Bently, and Jabez Bradley. Elijah Sexton was the first postmaster at Pine Valley in 1828 with the office located at the lower valley. The succeeding postmasters of Pine Valley, not otherwise and heretofore referred to, are as follows: Bennett J. Denson, June 16, 185 1 ; Samuel Everett, October 9, 1852 ; Samuel Soper, August 24, 1853 ; Curtis Miles, September 26, 1854; Asa D. Smith, June 15, 1857; Hiram M. Lattin, May 9, 1866; William H. Banks, January 24, 1870; Dewitt C. Crawford, June 2, 1873 ; Henry Lattin, September 1, 1873 ; Robert P. Mosher, April 19, 1875; Adell M. Dilmore, April 29, 1879; William C. Palmer, March 5, 1880; Chauncey Palmer, December 30, 1886; William C. Palmer, January 5, 1887

Other early settlers of the town were B. B. Parsons, Ransom Lattin, Jacob Weller, Oliver Greene, Caleb Allen, Miles Curtis, Levi Mallette, Uriah Hall, L. Compton, Nathan Botchford, Diedrich Shafer, John Burch, Reuben Tifft, Moses Cole, Richard Dilmore, John Denson, Solomon Bennett, Thomas C. Sleeper, Henry Taylor, sr., William Duscam, Chauncey Taylor, James M. Van Duzer, Samuel A. Beardsley, William Christler, sr., Ezra Mallette, Henry Hall, John Deane.

Veteran was formed from Catherine on April 16, 1823. The name was given to the town to signalize the distinguished services of Green Bently, the first settler. He had served in the French and Indian war, enlisted in 1775 it, the Revolutionary struggle, and served through it to the end. The names " Bently " and " Veteran " are synonymous terms in the history of the township.


The town clerks since 185 1 have been :

1851, Joseph C. Stoll ; 1852-53. Gabriel Smith; 1854, Theodore V. Weller; 1855, Luther P. Lyon; 1856, Dan a White; 1857-59, Henry Ila] I ; 1860, Uriah Hal 1; 186 1 66, John Denson; 1867, S. R. Page; 1808, John Denson ; 1869- 76, Charles C. Coston ; 1877, Dexter White- 1878. A_ T. Kingsley; 1879-83, Dexter White; 1884, Roswell Goff, jr.; 1885-91, Dexter White.

The justices of the peace were as follows

Theodore V. Willen, Evans 1). Cart-, Reuben B. Newhall, Volney Sawyer, William P. Chattle, John Shaffer, S. R. Page, Curtis -Miles. Bela B. Crane, Moses Cole, Isaac V. Thompson, James McMillen, William IT. Banks, Moses Cole, Robert Hosie, Henry 11. Worden, DeWitt C. Crawford, John C. Fanton, William Burrell, IT. IT. Worden, John W. Dilmore ; 1875, Moses Cole ; 1876, George McKinney and Charles T. Hill ; 1877, If. IT. Worden ; 1878, John W. Dilmore; 1879, Charles T. Hill ; 1880, George McKinney ; 1881 , If. IT. Worden ;

Jackson ; 1882, George W. Wood 1883, C. 'I'. Hill; 1884, Lewis B. 1885, Nelson Bedell 1886, John Al. Banks; 1887, L. W. Bailey; 1888, John Hamilton ; 1889) A. W. Me Key 1890, Charles K. Soper ; 1891, L. W. Bailey.

The first road built in the town was constructed by General Sullivan on his march against the Indians in 1779- Its traces are nearly obliterated. The valley of Catherine Creek through which it extended has since been the main thoroughfare leading from Elmira toward Seneca Lake. Local and other travel during the time when lumbering was extensively carried on ; the establishment of a line of daily stages which were then driven over this route ; the activities of trade and travel on the Chemung Canal ; the friendly rivalry between the then busy villages of Pine Valley and Millport, where scores and hundreds of boats were in process of construction ; and the travel upon the Northern Central Railroad have given to the valley an importance and interest which have not attached to other sections of the town. The middle road, extending from the valley toward Johnson settlement, was opened in 1 Soo and was for several years the only highway east of the valley road. About 1826 a post-road was established between Elmira and Seneca Lake extending through the valley; a postoffice was kept at Daniel Parsons's hotel, of which Elijah Sexton was the first postmaster. Another route, also starting from Elmira, left the main road at Horseheads and followed the ridge road to Johnson settlement. There was an office at the house Of William Van Duzen, who kept a hotel and was the postmaster. There was also another hotel on the same road kept by John Turner. John Deane settled on the valley road in 1812, where he kept a public house for many years.


A section of Catherine Valley in the vicinity of the present village of Pine Valley was first known as the " Swamp." Soon after the construction of the canal it was called the " Summit," from the fact that here was the upper lock in the canal or the " summit- level" reaching southward. The first buildings in Pine Valley were of logs, among which were a schoolhouse, which stood a short distance above the village, and a distillery on the present site of the creamery. Later there were a few buildings of better construction, among which were a plank schoolhouse which stood near the present Methodist Church, the " stone " mill, still occupied, built by William Bently about 1830, and afterward the red schoolhouse which was replaced by a better structure in 1865. The construction of the canal gave an impetus to business and Pine Valley was the scene of life and activity.

A short distance above the village was a boat landing where building timber, lumber, shingles, tan-bark, and wood were transferred to boats for eastern and other markets. Several saw-mills were located below the village. These with four or five locks above the lower valley and the boat building interests of Curtis Miles, William M. Banks, and Hiram Lattin furnished employment for mechanics and laborers who found homes in the valley. Business has changed, but Pine Valley has a railroad station, two churches, two stores, a good schoolhouse, a grist mill, creamery, carriage shop, blacksmith shops, and, though not the life and activity of former years, the quiet of pleasant homes.

The Baptist Church was organized in 1867 and was first known as the " Free Religious Society " of Pine Valley. A church edifice was erected in 1871. About 1873 the name was changed to the " Free Baptist Church " of Pine Valley. The Rev. E. C. Rollins was the first pastor. He was succeeded by Revs. Andrew Johnson, S. C. Weatherby, 0. S. Brown, and H. H. Ream. There are forty-eight members and about ninety attend the Sabbath school. Henry Stoll and John Reaves are deacons.

John Vaughan was one of the Methodist preachers who held meetings in the vicinity of Pine Valley about 1825. Meetings were held at his house on the Allen Barnes place, where he impressed his hearers by the power of his zeal and earnestness. In 1858 a class of about fifteen members was organized at Pine Valley under the charge of the church


at Millport, and services were held in the schoolhouse and afterward in the Baptist Church. A church building was erected in 1888 and dedicated November 15, 1889, under M. P. Blakeslee as presiding elder, assisted by the Revs. U. S. Beebe and C. L. Connell. There are about forty members. This is a branch of the Millport church.

The first cemetery at Pine Valley was upon a knoll near the Baptist Church. A few members of the Goldsmith family and some others were buried there. A new plot of about two acres near the village and just within the line of Catlin was subsequently selected and is under the control of the Pine Valley Cemetery Association, incorporated May 5, 1883. Trustees: Charles K. Soper, president; H. B. Taylor, secretary; H. M. Lattin, George K. Smith, T. C. Dilmore, Lorenzo Pike.

Fidelity Lodge, No. 8 1 1, 1. 0. G. T., was chartered February 5, 1869: Sidney A. Palmer, C. T.; Mary A. Weller, V. T.; Monroe Andruss, chaplain; John W. Dilmore, treasurer.

Pine Valley Lodge, No. 157, G. T., was organized in January, 1891, with nineteen charter members. Twenty-one members were added in the next six months. William Barnes, C. T.; Emma Rose, secretary.

Pine Valley creamery was started and operated about eight years by Dr. George E. Hoke, who erected the building in 1867. It was purchased in 1885 by H. M. Lattin, who manufactures both butter and cheese for a cooperative company of sixty-two members, with Martin McCauley, president; George M. Parsons, vice-president; Thomas C. Dilmore, secretary ; J. M. Stoll, superintendent.

Millport is situated near the west line of the town two miles north of Pine Valley. Once the scene of business activity and the almost successful rival of Elmira it now sits silent and serene, closely environed by the towering hills which circumscribed and limited its early growth and cast their shades as a pall over her decline. It retains enough of its former self to be both pleasant and interesting. The original name, I " Millvale," was changed to Millport in 1829 by a resolution passed at a meeting held for the celebration of the passage of the act authorizing the construction of the Chemung Canal. The numerous saw-mills erected along Catherine Creek, of which Elijah Sexton built three, and the building of hundreds of boats constructed in the valley by Pliny S. Tanner, Mosher & Williams, James Stoll, and others, contributed to the early growth of the village.


Although Veteran has had a fair share of prosperity, and during some years immunity from disease and accident, yet the people in the vicinity of Millport have passed through some afflictive dispe n sat ions which have brought sorrow to many and consternation to all. During the spring and summer of 1841 an epidemic in the form of scarlet fever proved fatal to a large number of children. It was followed by a throat trouble of dangerous putridity which carried away others of more advanced years. In the following year another disease, erysipelatoid in its nature, became epidemic, baffled the skill of medical practitioners, and was marked by its virulence and mortality. During the construction Of the Northern Central Railroad in the year 1849 a number of foreigners were employed as laborers. In the month of July, during a term of excessive heat, cholera broke out among them in the neighborhood of' Millport and proved alarmingly fatal. It also spread among the citizens, and by its deadly ravages created the utmost consternation and fear. In many cases the attack was so sudden and violent that death resulted in three or four hours. Strong men commenced the day's labor and died before noon. The shades of evening closed upon others in apparent good health and before dawn they had passed into the night of death. Not less THAN 375 deaths resulted from this dreaded and fatal disease, the ravages of which were checked by the cooler weather of the approaching autumn. In June, 1857, excessive and long continued rains made the inhabitants along Catherine Creek and the line of the canal apprehensive of damages by flood. Orders were received to turn the water from the canal into the creek. Obedience to the order which was begun at the summit above Millport on the afternoon of June 17th the increasing violence of the rain, and finally the breaking of the banks of the canal sent a terrorizing torrent down the valley, carrying with it the dams, houses, barns, and other buildings which stood in the line of its destructive course. At Millport the only safety was in flight to the hills. Navigation was suspended upon the canal for some time, but the repairs were made long before the people of the village could make the necessary repairs for resuming their accustomed avocations.

John McDougall and Ebenezer Mallory, who were early settlers in Veteran, preached occasionally for several years after the settlement of the


town for the Methodists of Millport. A church was regularly organized December 31, 1832, and was for a few years part of a circuit which included Horseheads and Havana. Among the early members were John McDougall and wife, Oliver Greeno, Ira Miles and wife, David Banks and wife, Diedrich Shafer, and John Daily. A church edifice was erected in 1833. David Fellows, William Goodwin, John Champion, and Ralph Bennett preached prior to 1843, when it became a regular station with E. Colson as pastor. Other pastors were Revs. Henry Wisner and Austin Chubbuck. In 1867 the church was rebuilt and a session room added. The preachers since [hat time have been William Bradbury, Milton Fellows, J. T. Canfield, C. W. Winchester, M. F. De Witt, Robert Townsend, E. D. Thurston, John H. Day, C. L. Connell, J. R. Drake, Mid C. M. Adams. There are about 220 members, including the Pine Valley church.

One of the prominent men of the county was Albert F. Babcock, of Millport. He was a merchant there many years, served as clerk of the Board of Supervisors several terms, arid was elected county clerk in 1849. One of his sons, although laboring under the disadvantage of entire loss of eyesight, became a minister whose preaching was of more than ordinary interest. Another son was for many years clerk of the State prison at Sing Sing. Another son, Erastus Franklin Babcock, finishing his education at the Delaware Literary Institute in Franklin, Delaware County, N. Y., prepared himself for the bar, and was admitted to the practice of the profession. He located in Elmira and has attained much prominence and success in his chosen walk of life. He was elected district attorney of the county in 1865 and was appointed postmaster of Elmira in 1885. His wife was a daughter of the Hon. John 1. Nicks. Mr. Babcock excels in literary work, some of his efforts with his pen, of which he has never been suspected as having been the author, entitling him to rank with men whose writings have made them well known.

The Millport Baptist Church was organized December 24, 1844, by a council from Big Flats, Southport, and Elmira. The first members were Pliny S. Tanner, Robert Pennell, C. C. Coston, Stephen Owen, .Isaac Brisco, Chauncey Palmer, Caroline C. Druson, Mary Impson, Mary Longstreet, Rebecca Buckalew, Mary Pennell, Mary M. Coston, Eliza Durbon, Susan Brisco, Miranda McAdams, Lovina Palmer, Barbara


Pratt. The first pastor was Rev. P. D. Gillette, whose annual salary was $50. P. S. Tanner, C. C. Coston, and Chauncey Palmer were the first deacons. Services were held principally in churches belonging to the Methodist and Presbyterian societies. Rev. P. D. Gillette was succeeded as pastor by Revs. E. A. Hadley, G. M. Spratt, S. M. Brokeman, William Sharpe, and Richard Hultz, the last of whom became a soldier by enlistment in 1862. About 1867 P. S. Tanner purchased the Presbyterian Church, in which services were afterward held. The Baptist Society became a legally incorporated body March 27, 1871, and purchased the church of P. S. Tanner for $1,000, he then contributing $600 of that amount. After undergoing repairs the church was dedicated September 27, 1871. Rev. Mr. Hultz was succeeded by Pastors Capron, Whitney, Brown, Phillips, Dean, Worth, Babcock, Baldwin, Elwell, Hutchins, Stone, Cameron, Whalen, C. E. Drake, and George H. Thompson. The Rev. Benjamin W. Capron became pastor of the church in 1867 and remained two years. He died July 13, 1869, after having seen fifty-four years of active ministerial labor.

A Presbyterian Church, of which Myron Collins and Jervis Langdon were prominent members, was organized at Millport in 1836. The society became disorganized by reason of the removal of prominent families and the church which they had built became the property of the Baptists. A Rev. Mr. Jackson was the first pastor.

St. Mark's Episcopal Church was erected in 1887 and consecrated in January, 1888. Services are conducted by the Rev. Thomas Duck, of Horseheads.

The first cemetery in the west part of the town was on the old Bently farm, and was the burial place of several of the old settlers. The Millport Cemetery Association, having control of a cemetery east of the village, was incorporated November 18, 1870. C. W. Sleeper has been prominently connected with the association as secretary for several Years. The original plot of land consisted of an acre purchased of Erastus Crandall. Another purchase was made in 1841 ; another of two acres was added about the time of the incorporation.

Old Oak Lodge, No. 253, F. and A. M., was chartered June 7, 1852, pursuant to application made February 12, 1852, by Charles Benson, Jonathan P. Crouch, Gabriel Smith, Lemuel Hudson, Erastus Crandall,


Patrick Quinn, and John Durfee. There were about twenty charter members. The first officers were: Charles Benson, W. M.; Alexander Falls, S. W.; G. L. Smith, J. W.; Lemuel Hudson, secretary; Erastus Crandall, treasurer; George Mills, S. D.; Fred R. Plumb, J. D.; M. Seleckson, tyler. Past masters: Charles Benson, G. L. Smith, D. N. Bedient, E. W. Howell, T. D. Jones, J. C. Fanton, J. T. Fowler, G. M. Beard, C. Brown, A. Tifft. Officers in 1891: C. Brown, W. M.; J. R. Mapes, S. W.; L. W. Bailey, J. W.; D. White, secretary; T. F. Rhodes, treasurer; George Lee, S. D.; W. W. Locke, J. D.; W. Botchford and J. Rosekranz, M. of C.; C. Crouch, tyler. Brother E. 0. Crandall was the first brother passed and raised in the lodge. Masonic Hall is located in the village of Millport. There were about sixty-eight members in 18gi.

Millport Union Lodge, No. 1 12, 1. 0. G. T., was instituted January 22, 1879, with twenty-seven charter members ; J. G. Pettengill, past chief Officers in 18gi Asher Frost, C. T.; Mary E. Coulter, V. T.; Clara Howell, chaplain Ella Briggs, secretary; Harry Rhodes, assistant secretary; Frank Kelly, sentinel ; Charles Sterling, guard ; Sarah Coulter, marshal; Mabel Coulter, deputy marshal; Dexter White, lodge deputy; Mrs. S. R. Page, superintendent of juvenile temples; Libbie Frost, treasurer; S. R. Page, financial secretary.

The Women's Christian Temperance Union of Millport was organized in 1888 with Mrs. J. R. Drake president. She was succeeded by Mrs. M. M. Parsons. There are about twenty members.

The village school building is an octagonal structure of two stories. The school consists of two departments, and the citizens have a commendable pride in securing thorough and competent instructors. Dr. L. W. Bailey, a resident physician, formerly a successful teacher whose mathematical talent would honor a college professorship, occupies an unsought and gratuitous position as appellate judge upon educational topics held in dispute by students and others.

The Arnot mills, built by David Coe and Thomas McArthy in 1823, were rebuilt by John Burch about 1838 and subsequently remodeled by David Banks. They were burned in 1888, rebuilt in 1889, and again consumed by fire in 18go.

Allen's grist and flouring-mill was erected about 1835 by Henry


Crandall. S. C. Allen became proprietor about 1867. A storehouse was added it' 1870 and another in 1876. The mill was run by waterpower until 1883, when steam was added. The "roller process" of manufacture has been used since 1887. The capacity of the mill is 140 barrels per day. It is owned by S. C. Allen and operated by S. C. Allen & Soils.

The postmasters of Millport not otherwise or heretofore named, with the dates of their appointments, are as follows: Luna White, July 6, 1853; Mrs. Lucretia White, September 22, 1856; Albert F. Babcock, March 12, 186o; Cyrenus G. Kelton, February 19, 1862; John Sterling, August 28, 1866; Moses Pole, May 6, 1869; Jane Cole, June 7, 1875.

Sullivanville, located in the southeast part of the town, is a quiet hamlet having two churches, a school-house, two hotels, a store, and several shops. L. Compton settled in this part of the town in 1815, and he was soon after joined by Diedrich Shafer and Nathan Botchford. A Methodist Church was organized here in 1832. Diedrich Shafer, Sarah Shafer, Peter and Amy Compton, and Ezra Mallory and wife were among the members. Rev. Mr. Piersall was the first pastor. Among others who have preached since were the Revs. Goodwin, Case, Fellows, McElheny, Blades, Day, Matteson, Giles, Northway, Gardner, Canfield, Cochran, Watts, and Whitney. A church was erected in 1855. This was repaired in 1877 and dedicated anew under Rev. M. S. Hard, June 27, 1878. This church is now an appointment of the Horseheads charge. There are about twenty-five members. The Rev. Mr. Ford, a Presbyterian clergyman, preached at Sullivanville about 1827 and was succeeded by the Revs. Washburn, Pratt, Williams, Pierce, Riley, Carr, and others. A church organization was effected in 1878. The Rev. D. D. Lindsley was the first pastor. A meeting-house was built about this time. Services are held every Sunday, but there is no settled pastor. There are about forty members. The school building was erected in 1877.

Excelsior creamery, located near Sullivanville, was built by Nathan Vary in 1881. It was operated by Edward Vary for three or four years, after which it stood idle for two years. It was then purchased by George L. Rundle, who operated it until 18go, when it was taken by Tabor & Eddy, who manufacture about 70,000 pounds of butter in a season


of eight months. They have fifty patrons, run three separators, and feed about 300 head of swine.

The postoffice of Sullivanville has had more postmasters since its establishment than any other office in the county. It was discontinued in 1857 for a little less than a month. Its postmasters and the dates of their appointments are: Edward Wing, January 17, 1851 ; Orimel Dean, June 26, 1852 ; Almerin T. Wood, June 18, 1853 ; Reuben Wood, April 8, 1854; John A. Ramsdell, December 21, 1854 ; John M. Acmoody, January 30, 1855 ; Simon Bozzard, March 22, 1855 ; Sanford Bannister, December 27, 1856; Robert F. Stewart, September 27, 1,958 ; Jonathan Rundle, March 14, 186o ; Jeremiah Newton, October 15, 1863; Orimel Dean, March 25, 1869; William Oakley, April 1, 1875 ; Cronkrite, April 16, 1877; Augusta Voigt, May 8, 1882 ; Daniel R. Tunis, January 15, 188- ; Ezra Hammond, June 4, 1883; Guy Cronkrite, September 10, 1883 ; Alexander Hummer, January 18, 1889.

Ridge Farms creamery, run by William Van Duzer, was started in 1866 as a cheese factory, was rebuilt in 1887, and manufactures 250 Pounds of butter per day. Seventy-five head of swine and about the same number of calves are fed.

The Ridge Free Baptist Church was organized November 19, 1836, Among the first members were Ephraim B. Kendall, Levi Mallette, Jared Strait, Joshua Kendall, Erastus Andrews, Philip Aber, and Silas Bates. Samuel Dean was the first pastor. The church was built in 1837 and first occupied in March, 1848. The society was incorporated Mai ch 30, 1840, and John Turner, Uriah Hall, and Jacob Weller were elected trustees. The Rev. Mr. Hazen was one of the early pastors and was succeeded by Rev. 0. S. Brown for about four years. S. C. Wetherby preached about fourteen years. Other pastors have been the Revs Mr. Beebe, J. W. Brown, J. J. Hoag, S. S. Lee, E. B. Rollins, W. H. Russell, James Kettle, and E. B. Collins. The Rev. 0. S. Brown returned to the church, preaching in 1868-69 and again in 1889, and is the present pastor. Nathan Vary is deacon. An incorporated cemetery used in connection with this church is the principal one in the central part of the town.

Veteran.-The post-town of Veteran in this township, established in 1824, was discontinued on December 6, 1866. The postmasters of the 70


place not heretofore or otherwise named, with the dates of their appointments, are as follows: Nathan Vary, March 2, 1852 ; Samuel C.Wetherby, June 2, 1853 ; Lorenzo J. Worden, March 3, 1855 ; George L. Worden, September 21, 1855 ; Joseph Howen, November 18, 1858, Isaac J. Hoag, June 29, 1861 ; Joseph Allen, June 16, 1864; Edward B. Rollins, July 21, 1865 ; Ely A. Owen, August 2, 1866.

Terry's Corners. -The post-town of Terry's Corners in this township was established July 21, 1862, with the appointment of Ezekiel Terry as postmaster. He was Succeeded by Jay McKinney, May 20, 1865, and the name of the postoffice was changed to East Grove. Jeremiah Green succeeded Mr. McKinney as postmaster on February 14, 1873, and he was succeeded on March 3, 1873, by John Hamilton. The office was discontinued on January 26, 1874.

The people of Veteran may congratulate themselves on the part borne by her citizens in the Civil war. No other town in the county so quickly responded to the first call for 300,000 men, and subsequent calls were filled with an alacrity begotten of the purest patriotism and undying devotion to country. " Veteran " is not an empty name.

You are our welcome visitor since January 8, 1999- Page relocated & Counter reset 10 OCT 2004