History of Tompkins, Schuyler, Chemung, Tioga 1879
Chapter 58
Chemung County NY
Chapter LVII  - Town of Van Etten, Chemung County, New York
Town of Van Etten
Home Page
Van Etten Township Page
1879 Four County History - Table of Contents
Typed for Tri-Counties by Ruth BRYAN 
Postcard of Swartwood School from  Collection of Joyce M. Tice



The town of Van Etten is the northeast corner town of the county, and contains an area of 23,149 acres, of which 13,012 acres are improved. According to the census of 1875, it had a population of 1732 inhabitants, of which 1696 were natives and 36 foreign born, 1727 white and 5 colored; 879 males, 853 females; aliens 19. A voting population of 491, of which 472 were natives, and 19 naturalized. Number of males of military age, 340. Persons of school age, 247 males and 238 females. Number of land-owners, 315. Persons twenty-one years of age and upwards unable to read or write, 2.

The surface of the town is a hilly upland. The Cayuta Creek flows southeasterly through the centre, receiving as tributaries Jackson and Langford’s Creeks from the north, and Baker and Darling Creeks from the south. The soil is a clay loam upon the hills, and a gravelly loam in the valleys. The people are chiefly employed in agriculture and lumbering.


Nearly all of the first settlers came from the valley of the Delaware River. They were generally of Holland Dutch descent, and represented families living on both sides of the river from the mouth of the Lackawaxen to the Delaware Water-Gap. They were men accustomed to scenes of danger and hardship, as rugged and enduring almost as the mountains bordering the valley from which they emanated. Loyal to their country, their homes, and themselves, many had passed through the stirring scenes of the war for our independence, while all had been sufferers or witnesses of the savage warfare waged alike against men, women, and little children by the Indians, and their more brutal allies, the Tories, during the campaign of 1778, which culminated in that hand-to-hand conflict at their very doors,--the battle of Minisink. During the war of 1812, a call was made upon the settlers here in the Cayuta and Catatonk Valleys, to assist in repelling a threatened invasion of our northern frontier. They responded to the summons with alacrity, and started upon the march towards Buffalo; but after proceeding part of the distance were recalled, their services not being required.

Many-tongued tradition claims that a man named Thomas, supposed to be Joseph or Joel Thomas, the father of Philip Thomas, of Erin, was the first settler of the territory now known as Van Etten township; that about the year 1795 he located on the creek south of Van Ettenville village, near where the white grist-mill now stands. Inquiries made of the Thomas family have failed to elicit a satisfactory reply. We do know, however, that General Jacob Swartwood, with his brothers Isaac and Emanuel, came from the Delaware River country, near Port Jervis, in 1797, and settled in the valley of the Cayuta Creek, near the station of the Utica, Ithaca and Elmira Railroad, known as Swartwood. They were joined soon after by their father Peter Swartwood (*Peter Swartwood died 1841, aged ninety-seven years. Sally, his wife, died 1842, aged eighty-five years.) and his brother John, and his (John’s) family. Peter (the father of Jacob, Isaac, and Emanuel) had been a soldier of the French and Indian wars which preceded the Revolution. General Jacob Swartwood, his son, had taken an active part in the Revolutionary struggle. He was a large, muscular man, of a mould and mind which peculiarly well fitted him for the station he occupied as a leading pioneer. Possessed of good business tact, great energy, firm and unbending in his purpose when he considered that he was in the right, yet an obliging friend and neighbor, and a jolly landlord of "ye olden time." He was the first postmaster here, supervisor of the old town of Spencer for many years, represented Tioga County in the State Legislature in 1828, and, until his death, was prominently identified with all things relating in the best interests of his town and county. His grandson, Jacob Swartwood, still resides on the homestead, and occupies the old tavern made historic by the general.

Isaac Swartwood (brother of General Jacob) was also a man of much usefulness and worth to the new settlement, and, being a practical millwright, he erected the first mills here, and superintended the erection of many others in the neighborhood during the early settlement. His son, John Swartwood, a gentlemen highly esteemed, resides at Swartwood Station, as does also Mrs. Hannah Swartwood, the widow of Jacob C. Swartwood (who was another son of Isaac). Mrs. Swartwood is eighty-five years of age, and the mother of fifteen children.

Of John Swartwood’s family there were five sons, viz., Daniel, Jacob, Thomas, Isaiah, and John, Jr. Jacob was a soldier during the way of 1812, was taken prisoner, and never heard from afterwards.

William Ennis, the grandfather of the brothers who settled here, came from Scotland, and settled in the valley of the Delaware River, near Port Jervis. His son, Benjamin, raised up a family of four sons and two daughters, and was killed in an encounter with the Tories and Indians in 1778. The four sons, viz., Alexander, John, Emanuel, and Benjamin, came here in 1798, and settled just above the Swartwoods, near the junction of the Cayuta and McDuffie Creeks. They were very worthy people, and their descendants are to be found here in large numbers, occupying the lands opened by the pioneer brothers.

James and Emanuel Van Etten, brothers, and Joshua and James, Jr., sons of James, came from the vicinity of the Delaware Water-Gap, in the year 1798, and settled on the site of the present village of Van Ettenville. James, the father, died prior to 1800. Joshua settled at the corner now occupied by Clark’s store, while James, Jr., located some distance west of him, near Langford Creek. Joshua had four sons and one daughter, viz., James B., Daniel, Joshua, Albert, and Jemima, all dead except Joshua, who now resides in Dryden, N.Y. James B. Van Etten was an active business man, and a politician of considerable influence in his town and county. He represented Chemung County in the State Legislature in 1852, and Albany County in 1855. He died in 1856, at the early age of forty-five years.

Major Samuel Westbrook, a soldier of the Revolutionary war, together with his sons, James, Daniel, and Joshua, came from the town of Middle Smithfield, Pa., near the Delaware River, and settled on the Cayuta Creek, just south of the Van Ettens, about 1799. Mrs. Rachel Swartwood, a daughter of Joshua, is still living in the village of Van Ettenville, aged seventy-eight years, and Mr. Jacob Westbrook, her brother, is a successful farmer and a resident of the town, near the central part. Many other descendants of the family reside in the town.

The Westbrooks spring from a military family. Three brothers held commissions in the Continental service, viz.: Colonel Cornelius, Major Samuel (who settled here), and Captain Peter Westbrook, who was killed in a battle with the Tories and Indians. Amasa D. Westbrook, a descendant of the family, was the first volunteer to enroll his name in the town during the war of the Rebellion.

John, David, and Wm. Hill, brothers, came from the Delaware River country, and settled west of the village previous to 1800. Their father was also here, and died prior to 1800. Daniel Decker, from New Jersey, settled about two miles north of Van Ettenville in 1801. Isaac and Levi Decker, brothers, from near Port Jervis, were also here at an early day.

Hiram White, from Litchfield Co., Conn., and David and Gabriel Jayne, brothers, from New Jersey, came in 1800, and settled on a branch of Cayuta Creek, in the locality called Pony Hollow.

John Barns and his sons, Thomas, Henry, Cornelius, Abraham, Jeremiah, John, Nathan, and William, were the first settlers at the junction of the Lackawaxen and Delaware Rivers. Thomas and Henry were soldiers in the Revolutionary war. In 1801, Henry emigrated to this town, taking up the farm next west of the one now owned by his (Abraham’s) son, Abraham Barns. Of the twelve children of the elder Abraham Barns, there are now living Mrs. Hannah Swartwood, aged eighty-five years, at Swartwood Station, Mr. Jeremiah Barns, one of the first settlers of the town of Erin, who now resides at Ludlowville, Tompkins Co., aged seventy-eight years, and Abraham, who resides on the homestead, aged sixty-six years. The Barns family are descended from good old Revolutionary stock; Abraham Barns’ grandmother’s brother (Captain Tyler) and his mother’s father (Mr. Thomas) both lost their lives at the battle of Minisink, in 1778.

Jacob Van Auken came from Pennsylvania, twelve miles above the Delaware Water-Gap, and settled here in 1822. He is now in his ninety-fifth year. His father was a Revolutionary soldier, and Jacob was drafted for the war of 1812, and, with others from this neighborhood, was on the march towards Buffalo when they were recalled.

Michael Higgins settled here in 1825, and established extensive mills about one mile south of the village. He removed to Illinois in 1844, where his sons at present reside.

Guy Purdy, a son of Andrew Purdy (one of the first settlers of Spencer, Tioga Co.), was born in Spencer, 1808 and settled in the village of Van Ettenville, 1839. He was for many years one of its most worthy and prominent citizens.

Solomon White came from Salisbury, Conn., in 1808, and settled near Swartwood Station.


A Mr. Thomas built the first house, in 1795. Isaac Swartwood built the first framed house, in 1802, the first saw-mill, in 1800, and the first grist-mill, in 1803. General Jacob Swartwood opened the first farm and harvested the first crops, in 1797. He also kept the first tavern, in 1801. It stood upon the site of the present hotel, which was built by the general a few years later. The old sign which hung out before the traveler in those primitive days—the days when the stage-coach was the adjunct of the tavern, and the driver, with his tooting horn, an important personage in the affairs of the nation—is still in existence. Upon its weather-beaten face is the following quaint invitation to "call in":

"You jolly topers, as you pass by,

Call in and drink, if you are dry.

If you have but half a crown,

You are welcome to my jug set down."

Stephen B. Leonard owned the stage-line which ran over this route from Owego to Seneca Lake. It was started about the year 1820. The Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church at Swartwood was the first church edifice erected in the town. It was built as a union church, in 1826, by the brothers Alexander and Benjamin Ennis; was sold, some ten years later, to the Methodist Episcopal Society of Swartwood.

General Jacob Swartwood was the first postmaster in the town of Van Etten. It is believed to have been established during General Jackson’s administration.

Mrs. Ann Baker, wife of Jonathan Baker, taught the first school, in Isaac Swartwood’s log house, in 1803.

Daniel Decker and Nancy, a daughter of Daniel Swartwood, were married in 1803, which is believed to have been the first marriage.

The first death was that of Mrs. Elizabeth Allington, a daughter of Peter Swartwood. James Van Etten, Sr., died about the same time, viz., 1800.

Edward Hall kept the first store, in 1833. It stood near the present site of Dr. Handy’s Van Ettenville Hotel.


The town of Van Etten, named from James B. Van Etten, was formed from Erin and Cayuta, April 17, 1854.


At a town-meeting held in the town of Van Etten on the 9th day of May, 1854, the following-named officers were declared elected: George B. Hall, Supervisor; John S. Swartwood, Town Clerk; David Swartwood, James Ennis, and Nicholas Richar, Assessors; Loren J. Stewart, Uriah Osborne, Seymour Burchard, Commissioners of Highways; Emanuel Ennis, Superintendent of Schools; Guy Purdy, Justice of the Peace; Wm. Campbell, John Swartwood, John S. Ennis, Inspectors of Election; Benjamin D. Sniffen, H. Vandenberg, Overseers of the Poor; John Bandfield, Collector; John Bandfield, Asel Nichols, John Swartwood, Cornelius Van Auken, and Nelson Woolever, Constables; Daniel C. Van Etten, Sealer of Weights and Measures.

The following is a list of supervisors, town clerks, and justices of the peace, from the organization of the town to the present time:

1854, George B. Hall 1865-67, John Bandfield
1855, Wm. V. Atwater 1868-69, Gaylord Willsey
1856-57, Guy Purdy 1870-72, Charles A. Murray
1858-59, Jacob Swartwood 1873-74, Daniel B. Clark
1860-61, Edward Hall 1875-76, Orville P. Dimon
1862, John Bandfield 1878, Orville. P. Dimon, 
1863-64, Jacob Swartwood John Bandfield

1854, John Swartwood 1869, Jesse Rosecrance
1855, Francis A. Sniffin 1870-71, Guy Purdy
1856-58, Elijah Dimon 1872, Wm. A. Sniffen
1859-60, Francis A. Sniffen 1873, Hala Barnes
1861-1862, Daniel C. Van Etten 1874, Sylvester Briggs
1863-64, Guy Purdy 1875, Wm. W. Warner
1865-66, Miles Englis 1876, John C. Clark
1867, Wm. H. Van Etten 1877, Clarence H. Ward
1868, Francis A. Sniffen 1878, Owen S. Clark
1854, Guy Purdy 1867, George W. House
1855, Charles Patchen 1868, Jason P. Woolever
1855-56, John Swartwood 1869, George W. House
1857, John C. Hanson 1870, James Swartwood
1857-58, Luther S. Ham 1871, John C. Hanson
1859, Charles Patchen 1872, John P. Woolever
1960, Jason P. Woolever 1873, Elijah Rugar
1961, John C. Hanson 1874, Guy Purdy
1961-62, John Swartwood 1875, George W. House
1863, Jesse Rosecrance 1876, Lowman Ennis
1864, Jason P. Woolever, 1877, John P. Woolever,
Hala Barnes Edwin A. Nourse,
1866, James Swartwood John C. Hanson
1867, John C. Hanson 1878, John C. Hanson



cast of the centre of the town, is pleasantly situated in the valley of the Cayuta Creek, at its junction with Langford Creek. It is an incorporated village of 700 inhabitants, and is also a station of some importance, on the line of the Geneva, Ithaca and Sayre, and Utica, Ithaca and Elmira Railroads, as these roads form a junction here.

The site of the village was owned originally by the brothers Joshua and James Van Etten, who settled here in 1798.

Of the first things here Joshua Van Etten built the first house, 1798, and kept the first tavern, in 1813. James Van Etten built the first framed house, in 1818. Thaddeus Rumsey now occupies it. Miss Savery Wooden taught school here, in 1804. Guy Purdy was one of the first postmasters. Dr. Charles Murray was the first physician to locate here, and Edward Hall opened a store of general merchandise in 1833. In 1840 the only families residing in the village were those of Messrs. James B. Van Etten, Guy Purdy, Daniel Clark, John Hill, Lambert Mattice, Elijah Dimon, Edward Hall, and Jacob Allington.

Until about 1867 the growth of the village was slow and unimportant. The building of J.F. Hixson & Co.’s Extract Works, in 1868, and the saw-mill in 1869, gave it an impetus, which was accelerated by the completion of the Geneva, Ithaca and Sayre Railroad in 1871, the steam saw-mill of Messrs. Hoff, Thayer & Co., in 1873, and the Utica, Ithaca and Elmira Railroad in 1874.

The village contains at the present time two churches (Methodist and Baptist), one commodious, well-arranged district school-house with three departments, two hotels, six stores of general merchandise, one drug-store, one hardware-store, one furniture-store, one clothing-store, two steam saw-mills, one establishment for the manufacture of extract of hemlock bark, one millinery-shop, one harness-shop, two wagon-shops, three blacksmith-shops, three shoe-shops, two barber-shops, one cooper-shop, one meat-market, one billiard-room, one billiard- and lunch-room, two doctors, one lawyer, and about one hundred and seventy-five dwelling-houses.

Proceedings for its incorporation, under the general act, were begun in 1876. Upon the petition of E. Handy, C.H. Ward, Isaac Knettles, O.P. Dimon, Guy Purdy, J.C. Hanson, M. Van Valkenburg, L. Clark, N. Rumsey, Isaac Hyman, S. Briggs, W.M. Robinson. E.A. Nourse, Levi Bowers, S. Hoff, John Bandfield, Edwin Bogart, D.B. Clark, W.W. Clark, C.A. Crawford, A.D. Westbrook, Solomon Barnes, and A.B. Clark, a meeting of the property-holders residing within the bounds of the territory proposed to be incorporated was called for the 24th day of October, 1876. Of 109 votes cast, 85 were for incorporation and 24 against. The supervisor and town clerk acted as inspectors.

An election was held Nov. 27, 1876, when the following village officers were chosen: Amos S. Hickson, President; John Bandfield, O.P. Dimon, and A.B. Clark, Trustees; Sandford Hoff, Treas.; and Isaac Knetttles, Collector.

The village officers elected from the time of its incorporation to the present have been as follows:

President—Amos S. Hixson, 1876 to 1878, inclusive.

Trustees—John Bandfield, 1876; O.P. Dimon, 1876; A.B. Clark; 1876; Isaac Knettles, 1877;

John C. Hanson, 1877; William Warner, 1877; John Bandfield, 1878.

Treasurers—Sandford Hoff, 1876; O.P. Dimon, 1877; Clarence H. Ward, 1878.

Collectors—Isaac Knettles, 1876; Milroy Westbrook, 1877; Oliver B. Lindsey, 1878.


The extract-works of Messrs. J. F. Hixson & Co. were established in 1868. The engine in use is of 60 horse-power, and they manufacture 35,000 barrels of extract of hemlock bark per year. The article is of superior excellence, and is mostly shipped to the Boston market. The steam saw-mill, with turning-lathe attached, of the same firm, uses an engine of 60 horse-power, and manufactures 2,000,000 feet of lumber per year. The works give employment to 25 men.

The steam saw-mill, and planing-saw mill attached, of Messrs. Hoff, Thayer & Co. was started in 1873. They use an engine of 35 horse-power, manufacture about 1,000,000 feet of lumber per year, and give employment to 10 men.


Mount Lebanon Lodge, No. 775, F. and A.M., was instituted July 12, 1877, with the following officers: Amos S. Hixson, W.M.; Alfred Burchard, S.W.; George W. Bandfield, J.W. The present officers are Amos S. Hixson, Master; William J. H. Tunis, S.W.; Dwight Woolever, J.W. Regular communications are held the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month, at Masonic Hall, in the village of Van Ettenville.


on Cayuta Creek, near the northwest corner of the town, is a station on the Utica, Ithaca and Elmira Railroad. It contains one store, one steam saw-mill, and about 100 inhabitants. The steam saw-mill of Messrs. Joseph and James H. Rodbourn, which is located here, manufactures about 2,000,000 feet of lumber per year. The engine in use is of 60 horse-power, and 25 men are employed.


A class was formed here as early as 1805. Among the number were Benjamin Ennis and his wife, John Shoemaker and his wife, Emanuel Ennis and his wife, and John Ennis and his wife. They worshiped in private houses and school-houses until 1826, when their present house of worship was erected, by the brothers Alexander and Benjamin Ennis, as a union church. The society bought the house in 1836. It will seat 200 persons, and is valued at about $1200. The society is part of the Van Ettenville charge. Has a membership of 58, and 50 scholars in the Sunday-schools. Charles Brockway, Superintendent. Rev. J.W. Jenner, of Van Ettenville, present pastor.


This society was organized about forty years ago, but no records can be obtained. It was reorganized in 1857. The church edifice was built in 1851, while Rev. O. McDowell was in charge, and was repaired in 1868. It will seat 300 people. Present membership, 100; number of scholars in Sabbath-school, 70. Superintendent of Sunday-school, Thaddeus Rumsey. The church and parsonage are valued at $3700. Rev. J.W. Jenner is the pastor in charge.


was formed in 1841. Daniel Clark was the prime mover in its organization. The original number of members was 14, among whom were Daniel Clark and wife, Samuel English and wife, John C. Hanson and wife, Mr. Bennett and wife, Mr. Brink and wife, and Mr. Buchard and wife. Until 1868 this society was a branch of the Spencer Church. It then became independent. Rev. Mr. Lewis was its first resident pastor. Revs. Mr. Taylor and Kimball held protracted meetings here during the first year of its history. Under the lead of its present pastor, Rev. C.M. Jones, the society was reorganized in February, 1878, with 14 members, and numbers 33 at the present time. Number of scholars in Sunday-school, 50. Rev. Mr. Jones, Superintendent. The church was built in 1852, and has since been repaired at a cost of $900. It has sittings for about 300 people.


The Geneva, Ithaca and Sayre Railroad enters the town on the east border, south of the centre, and passing Van Ettenville turns south, and following down the valley of Cayuta Creek, leaves the town near the southeast corner. The road was completed in 1871, and the town was bonded to the amount of $25,000 to assist in its construction.

The Utica, Ithaca and Elmira Railroad enters the town from the east, near the line of the Geneva, Ithaca and Sayre Railroad, and passing around the village of Van Ettenville on its south side, runs off in a northwesterly course up the valley of the Cayuta Creek to Swartwood Station, and leaves the town north of the centre, on the west border. It was finished in 1874.

These avenues of freight and passenger transit afford the people ample facilities, as they connect directly with the two grand trunk lines which traverse the State from east to west, on the north and south borders.


This little town was fully aroused, and equal to every emergency during the war of the Rebellion. She was represented upon many of the hard-fought fields in Virginia and the southwest, and we know that the descendants of the sires who distinguished themselves in the Delaware Valley in 1778 did not falter when their breasts were bared to treason’s cohorts in 1861 to 1865.

The amount of bounty paid by the town was $36,860. Expensed attached to the same, $500. Total, $37,360. The town was reimbursed by the State to the amount of $8600. $240 was raised by private subscription for the relief o solders’ families.

We desire to return our thanks to Messrs. Abraham Barnes, John Banfield, Amos S. Hixson, Solomon Ennis, Jacob Swartwood, Jacob Van Auken, Owen S. Clark, Town Clerk, Dr. E. Handy, Sandford Hoff, Mrs. Guy Purdy, Mrs. Hannah Swartwood, Mrs. Rachel Swartwood, and Reverends J.W. Jenner and C.M. Jones for many courtesies and much valuable information.


26th N.Y. INFANTRY—Company K

Amasa Westbrook, private; must. May 21, 1861, three months; in battles of Bull Run, Thoroughfare Gap, Chantilly, Rappahonnock Station, Lookout Mountain Chancellorsville.

Andrew Hall, private; must. May 21, 1861, three months.

Eleazer Haskins, private; must. May 21, 1861, three months.

Charles Head, private; must. May 21, 1861, three months.

Nelson Bodle, private; must. May 21, 1861, three months.

Forbes Cooley, private; must. May 21, 1861, three months.

Elijah Van Auken, private.

Enlisted men, 75; men brought from abroad, 36; drafted men, 4; substitutes, 6. Total, 121..

Abe Shoemaker, private
Nathan Osborn, private
Orlando Elwell, private
Edward Soper, private
Jerry Bogert, private



Melroy Westbrook, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

Thomas Hill, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years; killed at Peach-Tree Creek.

Solomon White, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

Hiram Beckwith, private; must. Sept. 10 1862, three years.

George H. Patchin, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

Luke Edwards, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

John Van Oshwich, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

John W. Coywood, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

Erastus Doane, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

James Van Auken, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

Corydon M. Gillett, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

Wm. H. Van Etten, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

Charles Harris, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

George Harris, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

Albert Whittey, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

Albert Swartwood, private; killed at Peach Tree Creek.

Josiah Weeks, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

Oliver P. Wood, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

William Wood, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

Dwight Murphy, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

David Swartout, private; must. Sept. 10, 1862, three years.

179TH REGIMENT—Company H.

George Berlew, private; died in the army.

Frederick Fitzgerald, died at Andersonville prison.

William H. White, Daniel Beckhorn, James Beckhorn, John Cretzer, Benjamin Hill,

James M. Mitchell, D.C. Van Etter, David H. Shepherd (died from wounds),

Ira Perrin, Emanuel Ennis, Simeon Rumsey, Myron Bredenburg, D. Hollenbeck,

John Patchin (missing), Isaac Fownesby, Jesse Cornell, Harrison Goldsmith.

Daniel Kolman, private; must Dec. 19, 1864, one year.

James M. Swartwood, private; one year.

Seneca Weeks, private; one year.


Jacob Westbrook, private; must. Oct. 8, 1861, three years.

Asa Patchin, private; must. Oct. 8, 1861, three years.

Smith Harris, private; must. Oct. 8, 1861, three years; died from wounds.

Edward Maxwell, private; must. Oct. 21, 1861, three years; died in the army.

Dennis Armstrong, private; must. Oct. 8, 1861, three years.

King Swartout, private; must. Oct. 8, 1861, three years.

Elijah Georgia, private; must. Oct. 8, 1861, three years.

Benjamin Georgia, private; must. Oct. 8, 1861, three years; died in the army.

Seth Knowles, private; must. Oct. 8, 1861, three years.

William J. Tunis, private; must. Oct. 8, 1861, three years; wounded.

Washington Head, private; three years.


Harrison Westbrook, private; must. Nov. 10, 1864, three years.

John Knettles, private; must. Nov. 10, 1864, three years.

Joshua Westbrook, private; must. Nov. 10, 1864, three years.


David Vosbury, private; 107th Inf.

Myron Van Etten, private, 1st Vet. Cav., N.Y., 1864.

Levi Card, private, 1st Vet. Cav., N.Y., 1864.

Winsor Lott, private, 1st Vet. Cav., N.Y., 1864.

Leroy Bogart, private, 6th N.Y. H. Art., Co. B; must. Sept. 17, 1863, three years.

Abijah Bowen, private, 6th N.Y. H. Art., Co. B; must. Sept. 17, 1863, three years.