Local History Articles Section
A Car Built in Elmira
Chemung County NY
Home Page Family Histories Infrastructure Townships

Home Page
Online Research Library
More Articles on Infrastructure
Elmira Page
Typed for Tri-Counties by Deborah JUDGE Spencer
Formatted & Published by Joyce M. Tice
Article from The Willys-Morrow Company - Transmission (company employee newspaper) Vol. 2- No. 19, April 8, 1920.
Thanks to Creig Crippen and his father, Eugene, for saving these wonderful papers all these years and for sending them to us.

Early Model Automobile Designed By A. P. Morrow and Leroy Taber


The accompanying illustration shows one of the early automobiles of this section.
It was designed by A. P. Morrow with the assistance of Leroy Taber.
It had a cross compound steam engine and it sure could steam as it made all the hills around the neighboring country.
It was built at the Eclipse Machine company at the expense of the designers.
The body of the car was bought at Cortland and the wheels were also bought at some outside concern but the rest of the car was made at the Eclipse factory.
On one occasion Mr. Morrow drove the car to Sodus, it taking three days to make the trip. But it is doubtful if some of the powerful machines of today could do much better over the country roads which existed at that time.
The car had the embarassing habit of catching on fire most any old time and so fire extinguishers and steamer rugs were always carried as part of the equipment. The front part of the car when turned over formed an extra seat so that the car could accommodate four passengers.
The car was finally sold by Mr. Morrow to Dr. W. E. Copeland. He had many experiences which ended with a thriller when the car burned up on the road.
The Willys Crew Motor Car company took the remains and built a new body for it and it was bought by "Bill" Tong who is a foreman at the Willys-Morrow company.
The engine of the car is still in service.
It is in a meat market in Pennsylvania where it is grinding sausage and hamburg for the natives.

1926 Willys-Morrow Automobile Photos
Photos of my Grandfather and Grandmother- Rowland and Florence Kelly with his 1926 Willys Knight, Model 66. The other is of just him and the car with their dog.  He was employed at the Willys Morrow plant there in Elmira. I don't yet just what years, but I do know he worked there in 1926, the same year model as the car. It must have been a new car or close to it. Submitted by Ron Kelly July 2007
1893 - The Jackson Wreck
Chemung County NY
Home Page
Online Research Library
More Articles on Infrastructure
Formatted & Published by Joyce M. Tice
The big event in the country in 1893 was the Columbian Exposition - World's Fair in Chicago. Many people from all over the country and the world attended, and it was a big event in their lives. Unfortunately, some of the would be attendees on the way there experienced a train wreck. Apparently this would have been west of Buffalo. Pat MOTT Gobea brought the following Canton Sentinel articles over recently, and they describe the experiences of some local people involved in that wreck. If any of you can track down any additional articles about this event and the role of our local people in it,please send them in for inclusion here. I happen to have a photo booklet of the exposition  sent in by Creig Crippen some years ago with which I can illustrate this section. 

 Late news from the Injured--All Doing Well--Mr. Anderson's Story of the Wreck.  While T. M. Fassett was walking about the exposition grounds at Chicago, he met a man named Burnham, of Columbia X Roads, and in talking about the Jackson wreck learned that it was Mr. Burnham who has assisted Miss Krise and Miss Harris from the window of the wrecked car. Mr. Fassett himself had a very narrow escape. A Jackson paper states that he had been standing on the platform at the station and was just about to step into the car when a friend spoke to him. He stopped a mement and then the crash came. Had it not been for the interruption of his friend he might have been one of the victims. His first effort was to assist in the release of the victims from the wrecked cars; and though horror-stricken by the terrible sights, did heroic service in the labor of rescue. At last accounts Miss Blanche Beardslee was gaining slightly. Until within a few days she could remember nothing of the wreck. Miss Allie Harris is also recovering. Miss Mary Krise was able to ride out on Saturday and is nearly recovered from her injuries. (The Canton Sentinel, Tuesday, October 24, 1893)

 J.N. Anderson tells the following story of the wreck: "Our party was sitting in one of the cars which was telescoped. I left my seat with my wife to step down the aisle to speak to a member of the party. On my return I had just reached the seat behind my wife and alongside that occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore, when the crash came. I didn't see the approaching train, for my back was to it. What followed the collision beggars description. The first thing I knew I was on the bottom of the car in a cramped position, with my head jammed against my knees. "I occupied a position that, if anything, was smaller than that taken up by a soap box. I breathed with difficulty, but was entirely conscious. I soon noticed blood flowing down my face, but supposed it came from some one lying above. I was held firmly in position by a huge beam. My scalp was fearfully cut, as I afterward found out, and that is where the blood came from, but I did not feel any pain at the time. When the wreckers began work they commenced to tear away the timbers. I felt the heavy beam gradually descending on me, and finally mustered strength enough to call to the men and ask them to raise the timber with a jack. This they did and I was rescued. Gilmore and his wife, who were beside me, were instantly killed. He was superintendent of the Morris Run colliery and handled 700 men. I received a bad cut on my right thigh and a hurt in my back." While Mr. Anderson was one of the first removed from the telescoped car, Mrs. Anderson was the last. She was crushed under the seats and was held firmly by a timber which lay across her body, yet, strange to say, she did not lose presence of mind, though suffering from awful pain while she lay under the coach for nearly two hours. When the rescuers did reach her, they attempted to drag her out by grasping her under the arms. This almost killed her, she stated, and after telling the men to release her limbs, she was withdrawn from her perilous position. (The Canton Sentinel, Tuesday, October 24, 1893)

 Rev. Mr. Gratton, of Morris Run, says: The Gilmores have lived at Morris Run all their lives. The old couple had not been on a railroad train since forty years ago the first of the month, nor had they in that time been outside their own county. They had looked forward to this trip for weeks, and anticipated a pleasant time at the Fair. Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore were the last two to be identified, and their identification is due to the Masonic emblem worn by Mr. Gilmore. Jackson Masons found the Masonic pin worn by him, attached to which was the Odd Fellows' three links. Knowing that J.N. Anderson was a Mason, they went to the City hospital where he lay, a mangled victim of the wreck. When asked if he knew the old gentlemen taken from the same car he was in and who wore a Masonic pin, he replied: "Well, poor Uncle Billy Gilmore! So Uncle Billy is among the dead. Too bad! Too bad!" Then, after a pause of a moment, he inquired after Mrs. Gilmore, and when the dead woman was described, he identified her. Mr. Anderson said that while waiting at Buffelo, he and Mr. Gilmore were discussing railroad wrecks, and agreed to take out a trip accident policy for each of the four for $3,000, which were mailed to Miss Gilmore, who is employed at Mr. Anderson's store at Morris Run. (The Canton Sentinel, Tuesday, October 24, 1893)


The train wreck referenced in "What's New" on June 19 took place in Jackson, Michigan.

Here is a link with some info http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Wrecks/WrecksMenu.htm#Jackson1893

Attached is a photo Charles and Zoe THOMPSON Starr.  She was the daughter of George Henry THOMPSON and Elenora BERRY, granddaughter of William THOMPSON and Sophia HOUTZ of South Creek Township (http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/bibles/thompson.htm).  Zoe also died in the train wreck at Jackson.  I do not know where the Starrs were living at the time.  These photos and the article came from Marie Brasington (who should be given credit)

Here is a transcription of the article that accompanies Zoe & Charles' photo:

Mrs. Charles Starr
Among the many sad things connected with the present railway horror at Jackson, Mich., few are sadder that the death of Mrs. Starr, only twenty-six years of age, with a comfortable home, fondly loved by her husband, devoted to her child, a little boy of four, who has no realization of the great loss he has sustained.  It certainly seemed as if she had everything to live for. She was of a bright, happy, joyous disposition, spreading sunshine in the home, and was, in her father's house, the center of the affection of the entire family.  Her mother is well-nigh crazed of her loss.  The great outpouring of friends at the funeral last Sunday afternoon attested not simply to the genuine worth of the deceased, but also the sympathy of  the community for the afflicted family."

The article is not dated nor is the newspaper identified.  The attached photo is a .jpg verson.  There is a large .bmp photo is among the Thompson family photos on the CD I gave you several years ago.  It was too large for me to attach.

Lee Kinnan Fazzari

Chemung County NY

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 04 OCT 2004
By Joyce M. Tice

You are our welcome visitor since 1 OCT 2004