Salute to Hibbard
Chemung County NY
Article: Salute To Hibbard
Village of Horseheads, Chemung County
Article by Helen Mac Dougall Samson (1909-1995) in 1976
Sent in by Walt Samson
Retyped by Bob Saftenberg
Photo by Joan NASH O'Dell at closing 1990
Home Page
More Local History Articles
Town of Horseheads Page

From the Past
By Helen M. Samson
Salute to Hibbards’

A familiar landmark to the residents of the Chemung Valley is "Hibbards Hardware." The store, which is located at Hanover Square in Horseheads, first opened its doors for business in July of 1871. At that time it was known as Lowell and Hibbard’s Tinware.

Following Mr. Lowell’s death in 1890, Thomas Hibbard Jr. assumed control and since that time it has simply been known as Hibbards Hardware.

Years ago tinware was their principle commodity, and at one point there were four full time tinsmiths at work making stovepipes and roof caps.

The business has now evolved into the do-it-yourself repair type of commerce.

Very little has changed in the store since the time the above photo was taken in 1940, to the present. [This is not the photo that is above on this presentation. The one on this page is from 1990 when the store was closing]

This fact is only too obvious to those who have employed the services of the friendly people that work there. The wooden floors and small pigeon-holed compartments that store everything from thumb tacks to ladder jacks, has a romantic heritage type of atmosphere.

The store has been under the competent management of Thomas Hibbard Lynch, great-grandson of the founder, since 1967. From nails to pails, and seeds to good deeds, the friendly folks there are knowledgeable and sincerely interested in serving you.

Their years of exemplary service to the community have been enjoyed for over 105 years and we wish them continued success during their next hundred years.


First Added to the Site on 30 DEC 2002
By Joyce M. Tice



You are our welcome visitor since 30 Dec 2002