1885 Seven Counties History - Chemung County NY
Chemung County NY
Photo  by Joyce M. Tice 
Home Page
Town of Catlin Page
Table of Contents Chemung County Section of Outline History
Schools and Churches
ReTyped by Liz DuBois.
Book Submitted by Walt Samson
HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company, Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND CITIES"

(page 138)

Catlin Township.

Catlin was organized, pursuant to an act of the Assembly, April 16, 1823, approved by Governor Joseph C. Yates, taken from the town of Catharine. The first election was held May 13, 1823, at the house of Uzal Dickerson. Horace Tupper was elected supervisor; George Lewis, town clerk. The town is bounded on the north by the town of Dix, in Schuyler county, east by the town of Veteran, south by Horseheads and Big Flats, and wet by the town of Orange, in Schuyler county, and Hornby in Steuben county. It occupies an elevated position between the valley of Catherine Creek and the valley of Post creek. Early settlers were: John Martin, Jacob King, Charles King, Aaron Davenport, Benjamin Cure, Erastus Beard, Horace Tupper, Edward Beebe, Derias Wood, Andrew Phineas, William Rowley, Abel N. Sweet, Dennison Herrick, James J. Smith, Jacob Bucher, William Haines, Benjamin Lewis, Uzal Dickerson, John P. Cornell, Peter Ostrander, Orange Hubbell, Ebenezer Close, William Locey, Elder Thomas Sheardown, Alanson Owen, Jeduthan King, David Johnson, Jonathan Woodruff, Mathias Backer, Benjamin Cure, Jr., James Wheeler, John I. Kimball, Stephen B. Munn, Willis Savory, Washington Savory, William Masters, Widow Mary Gould, Abram Kimball, Elijah Shoemaker, a soldier of the revolution, Cladius Townshend, Lucius Tracy, Alanson G. Everetts, Peter Miles, Dewitt C. Talmage, ______ Weatherby, Timothy Wheat, Ira Cole, Abram Primmer, Miller Shoemaker, William Teeter, Moses VanOrder, Jacob Steinmetz, Preserved Cooley, Thomas McCarty, Samuel Sterling, Lewis Thompson, Johnson Carter, Abel Buckley, Seth Rice.

(page 139)

--The first school house was built in 1820. --The first death was Horace Tupper, in the year 1827. --Jacob Harman was the first blacksmith, in the year 1837. --The first saw mill was erected in 1827, by James Wheeler. --Miss Eunice Bartram was the first teacher if schools in 1820. --The first log house was erected by John Martin, in the year 1816. --The first marriage was Benjamin Cure, Jr., to Miss Betsey Doty, in 1826. --The first tavern was built in the year 1825, by Jacob Bucher, on Post Creek. --The Chemung Canal was constructed within a few roads of its eastern line, in 1833. --John Ostrander was the first carpenter, and built the first grist mill in the year 1827. --The Elmira and Jefferson railroad, now controlled by the Northern Central, touches the eastern line of Catlin, was constructed in 1849. --The Syracuse, Geneva and Corning railway, constructed in the year 1877, touches its western border, in the valley of Post Creek. --Hon. Abram Primmer represented the town several times as supervisor, and in the year 1846, represented the county of Chemung, in the assembly of the state. --The first justice of the peace was Horace Tupper, appointed by the Governor, Joseph C. Yates, in the year 1823. Samuel Sterling, John Crawford and Lewis Thompson were appointed the same year. --The first road was laid out in the year 1823, between Post Creek and Martin's Hill. The old Sullivan or Catharine highway, touching the eastern border of the town was laid out many years previous to this. --The principal streams of Catlin, are the Sing creek and Post creek, flowing southward and discharging their waters into the Chemung river, Post Creek, at Corning and Sing Sing creek, in Big Flats. Johnson creek and one or two smaller streams rise in the town and flow eastward into the Catharine creek, the inlet of Seneca Lake.


You are our welcome visitor since January 10, 1999 - Page relocated & Counter reset 10 OCT 2004