Chemung County NY
History of Tompkins, Schuyler, Chemung, Tioga 1879
Chapter 53
Chapter LIII  - Town of Erin, Chemung County, New York
Town of Erin
Home Page
Town of Erin Page
1879 Four County History - Table of Contents
Typed by Debbie Hansen
Formatted by  Joyce M. Tice
Erin Biographical Sketches


The town of Erin extends from near the center of the county to the north border. Van Etten bounds it on the east, Baldwin on the south, and Horseheads and Veteran on the west. It has a total area of 26,493 acres, of which 11,559 acres are improved.

By the census of 1875 it had a population of 1556 inhabitants, of which 1537 were natives, and 19 foreign born; 1522 white and 34 colored; 801 males and 755 females. Total number of voters, 424, of which 415 were natives, and 9 naturalized. Persons of military age, 306.

Number of persons of school age, 236 males, and 214 females. Number of land-owners, 225. Persons twenty-one years of age and upwards, unable to read or write, 38.

The surface is an upland, hilly, and broken by many valleys. The water courses are small; Newtown, Baldwin, Jackson, and Wynkoop Creeks being the principal ones. The soil is a gravelly loam, productive, but better adapted to grazing than tillage. The people are principally employed in agricultural pursuits and lumbering.


The first settlers in the town of Erin came from the towns of Danby and Newfield (Tompkins Co.), and from the counties of Delaware and Orange, of this State. In most instances they came in with their own teams and conveyances, cutting out their own roads as they advanced farther and deeper into the then howling wilderness.

The Indians had long since disappeared; but the dense forests of pine and hemlock were infested with countless numbers of wild and savage animals, who preyed upon the sheep and other domestic animals of the first settlers for twenty years afterwards.

From the best sources of information, we are led to believe that Basil Sperry, who came from Newfield, Tompkins Co., made the first settlement, in 1815. He located on the lot now owned by Sylvenus Smith, and remained but a very few years.

The next year (1816) John Banfield, James Elya, Abraham Elston, Daniel and Gabriel Curtis, brothers, , and Thomas, his brother, and Philip Thomas, - all from Tompkins County, - came in James Van Houter and located near each other in the Red Chalk Section.*

The same year Isaac Shoemaker, Thomas Baker, Alexander McKey and his son John, James McMillan, with his sons John, James, Jr., George, and Joseph, William D. Stewart and his brother, Robert Stewart, Jeremiah Barnes, and Levi Decker, all from Delaware Co., this State, settled at or very near Erin Centre, while Robert and Alexander Park (brothers), from New Jersey, Robert McDoel and his son Varnum, from Vermont, located about two miles north of the center; and Ardon Austin, from Connecticut, Samuel, Daniel, and James Vaughan (brothers), located themselves on Austin Hill. Jesse White also settled the same year in the northwest corner of the town.

Isaac Boyer, a soldier of the Revolutionary war, with his sons James and Isreal, came in 1817 and took up the lot now owned by Charles McMillan. They were from Schuylkill, Pa.

Richard Walker, from Newfield, was also one of the first settlers, and located where John Torrey now resides.

David Herrington and sons, from Dorset, Rutland Co., Vt., settled at Herrington’s Corners in 1817, taking up 300 acres of great lot 150. One of the sons, Amasa L., resides on the homestead at the present time.

Colonel John Tuthill and son, John Tuthill, Jr., very prominent and worthy citizens, came in from Orange County in 1817, and took up a large tract of land in the south part. Henry, Anthony, and John Hollenbeck, brothers, and James the son of Henry, came from Middleburgh, Schoharie Co., N. Y., in 1819, and settled in the "Red Chalk" section. The Hollenbecks are of a Holland Dutch family. Their father – James – was a soldier in the war of the Revolution, and Anthony, one of the brothers, was a soldier of 1812. James, the son and nephew, and the only surviving one of the pioneers, is a large land-owner, the father of fifteen children, and an active, hearty man at the age of seventy seven years.

David Caywood, a Revolutionary soldier, with his son William, emigrated from Orange County, near Port Jervis, in 1800, and first settled at Ithaca. They removed to Erin in 1828, and located on the "Red Chalk" section. William, the son, was a soldier of 1812, and cleared and opened the farm where his son, Richard Caywood, now resides.

Peter Blauvelt and his brother, Abraham Blauvelt, from Goshen, Orange Co., settled here in 1832, as did also Cornelius Becker and his family, from Delhi, Delaware Co.

Among those who settled here early it may be mentioned that John Banfield was a leading citizen, energetic and active in all that pertained to the best interests of his town and county.

The Stewart brothers, the McKeys, and Ardon Austin were all men of ability and fair culture. Mr. Austin became the owner of large tracts of land. He removed to New Jersey several years since, and died there May 22, 1878, aged eighty-two years.

Philip Thomas’ father emigrated at an early day from Connecticut to Wyoming, Pa. He afterwards removed to Newfield, and died when his son Philip was but six years of age. Young Thomas was apprenticed to on Cranse, who was both a blacksmith and miller. He learned the milling business, and at the age of eighteen years was employed by John Shepard at Tioga Point as the chief in his grist-mill. After remaining with Mr. Shepard for some years, he gave up that occupation, and taking up two hundred acres of land in what was then Chemung township, he cleared and opened the farm where he now resides. In his eighty-sixth year, he is a hale, hearty gentleman, universally respected, and one of the last living links which connects pioneer and present history. Mr. Thomas had a half-brother – John – who was a soldier of the Revolutionary struggle. He also relates that the first two years of his residence here his taxes on two hundred acres of land amounted to but seventy-five cents per year.

*This section, which is the northwest on of the town, derives this name from the fact that when it was originally surveyed, the corners and lines were marked with red chalk, an unusual thing at that time.


Basil Sperry built the first house, in 1815, on the farm now owned by Sylvenus Smith. Thomas Baker built the first framed house, in 1825. About the same time John Banfield built the first framed barn. James and Joseph McMillan, brothers, erected the first saw-mill, in 1824; it was on Newtown Creed, near Erin Centre.

Joseph Rodbourn built the first grist-mill, about 1855. Basil Sperry opened the first farm, and harvested the first crops. John Mitchell kept the first tavern; it was in the south part of the town, on Wynkoop Creek.

The first school-house was built in District No. 1, 1818, and Robert Stewart was the first teacher. The Presbyterians built the first church, in 1836; it was located about two miles southwest of Erin Village. Rev. Mr. Bevridge and John Graham were influential in its construction. Mrs. Sperry and Mrs. Baker, the wife of Thomas Baker, were the first who died in the new settlement. Dr. James McMillan was the first resident physician. James H. Radbourn established the first store, in 1867. John McKey and Ardon Austin were the first surveyors.


Erin was erected from Chemung, March 29, 1822, being all that part of Chemung lying north of the north line of great lots Nos. 138 and 139. By the same act, "All contractors for lands in Erin, of twenty-one years of age and upwards, and worth $150 of personal property, or who have made improvements or payments for such lands to that amount, are hereby declared to be good jurors."

A part of Van Etten was taken off April 17, 1854.

To our mind it is an unsettled question how this town derived its name. There are still living here, men who were present when the town was formed, and who voted at the first town meeting, but they seem unable to settle this matter, nor have they any recollection concerning it. Others there are, who claim that it was named Erin as a compliment to Michael Robinson (the second supervisor), an Irishman by birth, and a gentleman of considerable local influence in the days of the early settlement.

This statement seems plausible, for we know that no considerable number of Irishmen settled here then or since. The McKeys, McDoels, McMillans, and Stewards were Scotchmen.


"Whereas, the Legislature of the State of New York did, at their last session, erect the north part of the town of Chemung into a separate township, by the name of Erin, and ordained that the first town-meeting should be holden at the house of John Banfield, in said town, on the third Tuesday in May, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty-two.

"Therefore, in conformity with the said act, the inhabitants of the said town of Erin assembled at the time and place before mentioned, when the following town officers were regularly chosen, to continue in office until the first Tuesday of March next:

"Alexander McKey, Supervisor; Ardon Austin, Town Clerk; Daniel Vaughn, Thomas Baker, Ebenezer Brown (third), Assessors; John A. McKey, Jared Patehen, David Swartwood, Commissioners of Highways; John Tuthill, William D. Stewart, Robert McDoel, Commissioners of Common Schools; Alexander McKey, Ardon Austin, Francis Banfield, Inspectors of Common Schools; John Tuthill and Robert McDoel, Overseers of the Poor; Varnum McDoel, Constable and Collector; Thomas Baker and John Banfield, Fenee-Viewers; John Banfield, Pound-keeper.

The following is a list of those elected to fill the offices of supervisor, town clerk, and justice of the peace from the time of the town’s organization to the present:


1822-24. Alexander McKey 1830-31. Ardon Austin
1825-26. Michael Robinson. 1835-36. Robert Stewart
1827. John Tuthill, Sr. 1837-38. Joshua Baker
1828-29. Michael Robinson 1839-40 . Ardon Austin
1841-43. Thomas N. Andrus 1860-61. Hiram Tuthill
1844-45. John Hoag 1862-65. Alexander H. Park
1846. Daniel Long 1866-67. Hiram Tuthill
1847-50. Jason P. Woolever 1868-69. William Chapman
1851-52. John A. McKey 1870-71. Charles H. Lewis
1853-54. Samuel Roberts 1872. Charles Baker
1854. John A. McKey (v.) 1873. Garret M. Hollenbeck
1855-56. Ardon Austin 1874-75. Albert H. McDowell
1857-58. Jason P. Woolever 1876-77. J. J. Park
1859. Garret M. Hollenbeck 1878. John G. Cowan



1822-24. Ardon Austin 1852-54. Charles Baker
1825. Thomas Baldwin 1855. Jason Frost
1826-29. Robert Stewart 1856-58. John Caywood
1830. James V. Baker 1859. Peter Blauvelt
1831. Robert Stewart 1860-61. A. H. McDowell
1832-37. Daniel Vaughn 1862-66. Alvah B. Rosenkrans
1838. Ardon Austin 1867-69. Charles Baker
1839-40. Isaac Saunders 1870-71. James Dibble
1841-42. Peter McKey 1872-73. Sidney L. Dibble
1843-44. James McMillan 1874-77. Giles Hallenbeck
1845-48. Zephaniah Richmond 1878. A. H. Van Gorder
1849-51. Alexander H. Park


1822-25. Harmon Sawyer, Green M. Tuthill
1826-29. Daniel Vaughn, Ardon Austin
1830. Charles Chapman
1831. Ardon Austin
1832-33. William D. Stewart, John White
1834. Hiram Tuthill
1835-36. Ardon Austin, Philip Thomas
1837. Charles Chapman, Samuel G. Stage
1838. John A. McKey
1839. Ardon Austin, Philip Thomas
1840. Peter Blauvelt
1841. M. Everitt
1842. Joshua Baker
1843. Jacob Banfield
1844. Peter Blauvelt
1845. Jeremiah Rumsey, Samuel Roberts
1846. Joshua Baker, Allen C. Lott
1847. Samuel Roberts
1848. Peter Blauvelt
1849. Zephaniah Richmond
1850. C. C. Humphrey
1851. Samuel Roberts
1852.  Peter Blauvelt, J. B. Moore
1853. Jason P. Woolever
1854. Cornelius Hammond, Francis Beveridge
1855. Johnson Hawley, William Chapman
1856.  Charles Baker
1857. Ardon Austin
1858. Charles H. Lewis
1859. Philip Thomas
1860. Peter Blauvelt
1861. Alexander H. Park
1862. John F. Hillaker
1863. Albert H. McDowell
1864. Amasa R. Herrington
1865. William Chapman
1866. Charles H. Lewis
1867.  Albert H. McDowell
1868. Amasa R. Herrington
1869. William Chapman
1870. John F. Hillaker, Peter Blauvelt
1871 A. H. McDowell
1872. Peter Blauvelt
1873 William Chapman
1874. John F. Hillaker, William Kendall
1875. Albert H. McDowell
1876. Amasa R. Herrington, John F. Hillaker
1877. Alexander Shoemaker
1878. Joshua Stevens

The following list of persons assessed for highway labor, 1823, is interesting and valuable, because it shows the name of every resident of the town of Erin, at that date, over twenty-one years of age.

District No. 1. – Joseph Bennett, Silas Valentine, Zachariah Valentine, John McMillan, Isaac Van Tile, Joseph Mills, John Hartgrove, Levi Decker, James Decker, Henry Decker, Benjamin Smith, William Smith, James McMillan, George R. McMillan, James McMillan, Jr., Robert Stewart, William D. Stewart, John Burrows, John Cooper, Jeremiah Barnes, Isaac Shoemaker, Elijah Shoemaker.

District No. 2. – Robert Park, Alexander Park, David Park, Jacob C. Swartwood.

District No. 3. – James Boyer, Isreal Boyer, Isaac Brown, William Brown, Silas Brown, Joseph Frost, Daniel Vaughn, Samuel Vaughn, Elihu Everitt, Andrew H. Everitt, Cornelius Westbrook, Ardon Austin, John B. Andrews, James Vaughn, Jeremiah Jareds.

District No. 4. – Robert McDoel, William Hoyt, Daniel Decker, Varnum McDoel, Thomas McDoel, Francis Banfield, Michael Robinson, Joshua Clark.

District No. 5. – Thomas Baldwin, John Boyer, James Elya, Oliver Elya, John Hollenbeck, Anthony Hollenbeck, Henry Hollenbeck, James Hollenbeck, Abraham Elston, Philip Thomas.

District No. 6. – James Van Houter, Thomas S. Van Houter, John Banfield, Daniel Curtis, Gabriel Curtis, David Jackson, William Groom.

District No. 7. – John W. Watkins, Lewis Catlin, John Elston, Nathaniel Campbell.

District No. 8. – Mathew N. Norris, Richard Walker, Jared Patchen, Ephraim Bennett, Daniel D. Bennett, Jedediah Bennett, Caleb Curtis, Daniel Howell, Elias Billington, James Bishop, Henry Clear, Morris Dean, John Walker.

District No. 9. – Charles Chapman, Herman Sawyer, Horace Sawyer, Smith Pareil, Nicholas Pareil.

District No. 10. – Eli Summers, Ira Simmons, Julius Simmons.

District No. 11. – Abraham Shoemaker, Daniel Swartwood, Isaac Shoemaker, Abraham Swartwood, David Swartwood, Jonah Osborne, Joseph McIntyre, William McIntyre.

District No. 12. – Brewster Goldsmith, Thomas Lewis, Christopher Hedges, Christopher Hedges, Jr., Farrel Hedges.

District No. 13. – John Tuthill, John Tuthill, Jr., Green M. Tuthill, Allen Hurlbut, David Herrington, Ransom L. Wade.

District No. 14. – Alexander McKey, John A. McKey.

Total number, 111.

Of the persons named on this list, Cornelius Westbrook, Varnum McDoel, John Boyer, James Hollenbeck, Philip Thomas, John Elston, Mathew N. Norris, William McIntire, and Brewster Goldsmith are the only survivors.

In 1827, there were but three framed houses in town, owned respectively by Ardon Austin, Thomas Baker, and Robert McDoel, while Thomas Baker, John Banfield, Charles Chapman, George Humphrey, and Mathew N. Norris owned frame barns, and George and Cornelius Humphrey a saw-mill. All other buildings were of logs.


Erin Village, a station on the Utica, Ithaca and Elmira Railroad, is situated on Newtown Creek, in the central part of the town. It contains two churches (Methodist Episcopal and Baptist), one store of general merchandise, one grocery-store, one tavern, one steam saw-mill, three blacksmith-shops, two wagon-shops, two shoe-shops, one district school, about forty dwelling-houses, and two hundred inhabitants.

The village is of recent growth. Its building-up and prosperity began with the establishment of Mr. James H. Rodbourn’s mill,* in 1868, assisted by the completion of the railroad in 1874.

It occupies the land owned originally by Alexander McKey and Jeremiah Barnes.

*The steam saw-mill of Mr. James H. Rodbourn, situated in the village of Erin, was established in 1868, and gives steady employment to 30 men. The engine is of 60 horse-power, and 2,000,000 feet of lumber are manufactured per year. There is connected with it a lath-machine and planning-mill.

Park’s, in the northeast part, is a post-office station on the line of the Utica, Ithaca and Elmira Railroad.

Herrington’s Corners, is a post-office station in the southern part of the town.


In a report made to the State Superintendent of Common Schools, State of New York, by John Tuthill and Wm. D. Stewart, Commissioners of Common Schools for the town of Erin, dated July 4, 1823, they reported three school districts in the town. District No. 1 contained 33 children of school age, and school had been taught three months during the year, for which $13.40 had been paid as teachers’ wages. District No. 2 contained 51 children of school age; school had been taught three months during the year, for which $20.71 had been paid as teachers’ wages. District No. 3 had 41 children of school age; school had been taught three months, for which $16.66 had been paid as teachers’ wages; and they concluded their report as follows:

"And we, the said commissioners, do further report that the whole amount of money received by us for the use of common schools during the year ending on the date of this report, and since the date of the last report for our town, is $50.77, of which sum the State paid $25.77 and the town $25.00. That the said sum of money has been expended in paying the wages of teachers qualified according to law. That the school-books most in use are the Holy Scriptures, English Reader, Daboll’s and Pike’s arithmetics, Webster’s and Cobb’s spelling-books."

In contrast with the foregoing we take the following from the report of the school commissioner, county of Chemung, for the year ending Sept. 30, 1877:

The town has 13 districts and 12 frame school-houses, the latter valued, with their sites, at $1675. Five hundred and seventeen children of the school age reside in the town, of whom 473 attended the public schools during the year. They were taught by 8 male and 19 female teachers, who were paid $2371.58 for their services. Three hundred and fifty-two volumes in the libraries, valued at $76. The income of the school treasury was $1299.05 from the State, $968.05 from taxes, $496.55 from other sources; total, with balance on hand Sept. 1, 1876, $2841.11. The total expenses, aside from teachers’ wages, amounted to $378.85. The State appropriation for 1878 is $1371.05.


Was formed in 1827. Among the original members were Jeremiah Barnes and his wife, C. C. Humphrey and his wife, Mrs. Baker (wife of Joshua Baker), Cornelius Becker and his wife, and James Baker and wife. The first meetings of the society were held in the school-house of District No. 1. They held meetings once in two weeks, and were supplied by preachers from the Oneida Conference. Rev. James Taylor was the first local preacher; Rev. Mr. Torrey the first circuit preacher. The society continued to hold its meetings in the school-house until 1874, when the present church edifice was completed, costing $3500. Rev. William Saunders was the first preacher on the charge. Rev. S. T. Tackabury is the present pastor. The church will seat 250 persons. The society numbers 113 members, and the Sunday-school classes 130; Mr. A. H. McDowel being the Superintendent.


A branch of the Breesport Church, was organized in 1864. Miles Ennis and his wife, Terresa, Melzor Kellogg and his wife, James Dibble and wife, and Warner Baldwin were among the original members. Their first meetings were held in the school-house of District No. 8, and they continued to hold them there until 1871, when their present edifice, situated in the village of Erin, was completed at a cost of $2400. It has sittings for about 300 people. The society has 25 members at the present time. Rev. Mr. Whitney was their first pastor. Alexander Shoemaker is the Superintendent of Sunday-schools.

The Presbyterian Church, which was situated about two miles southwest of the village, and erected about forty years ago, was torn down in 1874.

The Methodist church on Austin Hill has fallen into disuse, and the society dispersed.


The Utica, Ithaca and Elmira Railroad enters the town at the northeast corner, and running in a southwesterly direction, passes Park Station and Erin Centre, and thence following down the valley of Newtown Creek, leaves the town near the southwest corner. It was completed in 1874, and the town was bonded to the amount of $30,000 to assist in its construction.

For valuable information and courtesies extended, we desire to return to Messrs. Philip Thomas, James Hollenbeck, Amasa L. Herrington, G. S. Becker, J. H. Rodbourn, Rev. S. T. Tackabury, Isaac Shoemaker, Charles Baker, and A. H. Van Gorder our thanks.


Ara Carpenter, private, 8th N. Y. Art.; enl. Dec. 21, 1863.

Daniel Dibble, private, Co. G, 8th N. Y. Art.; enl. Dec. 28, 1863.

Henry Conklin, private, Co. C, 8th N. Y. Art.; enl. Dec. 28, 1863.

Miles W. Elston, private, Co. G, 8th N. Y. Art.; enl. Dec.28, 1863; died of disease, no date.

William H. Lee, colored recruit; enl. Dec. 22, 1863.

Asa G. Brooks, private, 8th N. Y. Art.; enl. Dec 28, 1863.

Damon Lamphear, private, 8th N. Y. Art.; enl. Dec 28, 1863.

George Perry, private, 8th N. Y. Art.; enl. Dec. 28, 1863.

Oliver Timerson, private, 8th N. Y. Art.; enl. Dec. 28, 1863.

Ambrus Armstrong, private, 8th N. Y. Art.; enl. Dec. 28, 1863.

Philander Collson, private, 8th N. Y. Art.; enl. Dec. 28, 1863.

Nathaniel McConnell, private, 50th N. Y. Eng.; enl. Dec. 28, 1863.

Austin Leonard, private, 16th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Dec. 9, 1863.

Orville Compton, private, 16th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Jan. 2, 1863.

Reuben B. Wheaton, private, 16th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Dec. 28, 1863; killed, no date given.

Smith Greek, private, 50th N. Y. Eng.; enl. Feb. 22, 1864.

Harvey B. Lowry, private, 50th N. Y. Eng.; enl. Feb. 24, 1865.

Joseph E. Utter, private, 50th N. Y. Eng.; enl. Feb. 24, 1864; had served one term of enlistment in a Penna. Regt.

James L. Wilsey, private, 50th N. Y. Eng.; enl. Feb. 24, 1864.

Theodore Redington, private, 50th Eng.; enl. Feb. 25, 1864; served to end of war, and enlisted in regular service.

Daniel E. Compton, private, 179th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Feb. 19, 1864; re-enlisted; taken prisoner; disch. at close of war.

Nathan Osborn, private, 179th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Feb. 25, 1864.

Peter Halleran, private, 179th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Jan. 3, 1865.

William Neish, lient., 1st Vet. Regt.; enl. May 25, 1863.

Isaac Northrup, private, 111th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Aug. 31, 1865.

James Northrup, private, 111th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Aug. 31, 1865.

Levi E. Cooley, private, 161st N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept.3, 1864.

David Howard, private, 179th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 5, 1864.

Aneil Harding, private, 1st Vet. Regt.; enl. Aug. 31, 1864.

William H. Ells, private, 1st Vet. Regt.; enl. Aug. 31, 1864.

John Decker, private, 1st Vet. Regt.; enl. Aug. 31, 1864.

James E. Campbell, private, 161st N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 2, 1864.

William Hurd, private, 1st Vet. Regt.; enl. Sept. 3, 1864.

Samuel M. Dibble, private, 1st Vet. Regt.; enl. Aug. 31, 1864.

Solomon Degraw, private, 50th N. Y. Eng.; enl. Aug. 11, 1864.

Peter Palmer, private, 161st N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 3, 1864.

John J. White, private, 179th Regt.; enl Sept. 12, 1864.

Myron Vredenburg, private, 1st Vet. Regt.; enl. Aug. 12, 1864.

Henry F. Braze, private, 28th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 12, 1864.

Nehemiah Hodge, private, 28th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 2, 1864.

James Doyle, private, 179th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 12, 1864.

Isaac Davis, private, 179th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 12, 1864.

John Brady, private, 179th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 16, 1864.

Garrett Groesbeck, private, 179th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 17, 1864.

John H. Beckwith, private, 179th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 17, 1864.

Sprague C. Whitaker, private, 179th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 17, 1864.

John Benjamin, private, 50th N. Y. Eng.; enl. Sept. 3, 1864.

Stephen Carnvike, private, 181st N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 12, 1864.

Joseph Hessman, private, 14th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Nov. 12, 1864.

Edgar Bailey, private, 9th N. Y. Cav.; enl. Jan. 10, 1864.

Edward Lollia, private, 9th N. Y. Cav.; enl. Jan. 12, 1865.

Thomas Crumlich, private, 61st N. Y. Regt.; enl. Jan. 12, 1865.

William H. Mirrick, private, 61st N. Y. Regt.; enl. Jan. 13, 1865.

John S. Curran, private, 61st N. Y. Regt.; enl. Jan. 14, 1865.

Robert Galbraith, private, 161st N. Y. Regt.; enl. Jan. 25, 1865.

Cornelius Bouse, private, 107th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Jan. 30, 1865.

August Rachel, private, 14th N. Y. Regt.

Michael Farrell, private, 14th N. Y. Regt.

Henry C. Lee, private, 14th N. Y. Regt.

William Kelly, private, 179th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Sept. 12, 1864.

Spencer Brown, private, 14th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Jan. 1865.

Armel Walker, private, 14th N. Y. Regt.; enl. Jan. 1865.

Isaac Porter, enl. Feb. 3, 1865.

Nelson Smith (drafted), private, 189th Regt., 1863; wounded; disch. at end of war.

Levi Decker (drafted), 1863; died of disease; no date given.

Sylvester Blauvelt (drafted), 1863; disch. for disability; no date.

David Vosburg, private, 107th N. Y. Regt.; enl. 1862.

John Beaseley, private, 107th N. Y. Regt.; enl. 1862.

George W. Hummer, private, 197th N. Y. Regt.; enl. 1862.

Samuel Elston, private, enl. 1862.

Isaac Elston, private, 86th N. Y. Regt.; enl. 1862.

Charles Elston.

Persons who resided in Erin and went for other towns.

Myron Humphrey, John Humphrey, Horace Jones, James Neish, Edward Hawley, Andrew Winters, Albert McMillan, Ira Jones, Arnot Staples, Chauncey Hallenbeck, Charles Hallenbeck (died in service), Alonzo White, David Leonard (died in service), Bradley Groom, Henry Inman, Rumsey Harrington.

Jerome Hammer, private, 1st Vet. Regt.

Sylvester Westbrook, private, 161st N. Y. Regt.

Chester Harrington, private, 141st N. Y. Regt.; enl. 1862.

Avery P. Harrington, private, 107th N. Y. Regt.; enl. 1862.

Miles Harrington, private, 107th N. Y. Regt.; enl. 1862.

Andrus Harrington, enl. 1862.

Joyce Tip Box -- December 2007 -
If you are not navigating this Tri-Counties Site via the left and right sidebars of the Current What's New page you are doing yourself a disservice. You can get to any place on the site easily by making yourself familiar with these subject and place topics. Try them all to be as familiar with the site's 16,000 plus pages as you can. Stop groping in the dark and take the lighted path. That's also the only way you'll find the search engines for the site or have access to the necessary messages I may leave for you. Make it easy on yourself.