Chemung County NY
History of Tompkins, Schuyler, Chemung, Tioga 1879
Chapter VIII - Military History.
Home Page
1879 Four County History - Table of Contents
Typed for Tri-Counties by Norma SMITH Mattison
Formatted by Joyce M. Tice



This regiment which achieved such distinction during the war, was organized by General Charles B. Stuart, during the months of July, August and September, 1861, at Elmira, by direction of the Secretary of War, as a regiment of engineers, pontoniers, sappers and miners, and was mustered into the service September 18, as Stuart’s Independent Volunteers.

The following were the field and staff and line officers: Colonel, Charles B. Stuart; Lieutenant-Colonel, Wm. H. Pettis; Major, Frederick E. Embrick; Adjutant, E.C. James; Quartermaster, Charles B. Norton; Surgeon, Hazard A. Potter; Assistant Surgeon, Charles N. Hewitt; Chaplain, Edward C. Pritchett; Quartermaster-Sergeant, Clinton H. Graves; Commissary-Sergeant, John W. Smalley; Hospital Steward, Edward Vivian Coulton.


Company A.-Captain, George W. Ford; First Lieutenant, Henry W. Perkins; Second Lieutenant, James L. Robbins.

Company B.-Captain, William O. Smalley; First Lieutenant , Daniel H. Andrews.

Company C.-Captain, Wesley Brainard; First Lieutenant, George N. Falley; Second Lieutenant, Henry O. Hoyt.

Company D.-Captain, B.W.O. Grady; First Lieutenant, George N. Nares; Second Lieutenant, Asa C. Palmer.

Company E- Captain, Ira Spaulding; First Lieutenant, Orrin E. Hine; Second Lieutenant, Delos L. Holden.

Company F.- Captain, P.C. Gilbert; First Lieutenant, John A. Johnson; Second Lieutenant, Frank W. Watson.

Company G.-Captain, W.V. Personius; First Lieutenant, John F. Malette; Second Lieutenant, John L.

Company H.- Captain, Edmond O. Beers; First Lieutenant, R.S. Ransom; Second Lieutenant, William L. Morgan.

Company I.-Captain, John E.R. Patten; First Lieutenant, Peter E. Reynolds; Second Lieutenant, Tillman Wiles.

Company K.-Captain, B. Murray; First Lieutenant; Second Lieutenant, Warren W. Lamb.

At the breaking out of the Rebellion there was only a battalion of engineers in the regular army, and it soon became apparent that the command was entirely inadequate to perform the constantly -increasing duties of that branch of service.

General Stuart eminent as an engineer, was empowered to raise a regiment for this duty among those whose occupations adapted them to its performance. The organized regiment had men qualified to build railroads, run locomotives, and conduct trains and ranged from common laborer to first class lawyer and first class engineer.

Starting for the seat of war Sept. 18,1861, the engineers were quartered for a few days on the Battery , at New York, to receive arms and equipments; then, proceeding to Washington, they received quartermaster’s supplies on Meridian Hill, marched through Georgetown and continued to Fort Corcoran, and pitched their first camp on rebel soil. Here arose a difficulty. Enlisted for a special service, and promised the allowances pertaining, the War Department had made no provision for this class of soldiers, and the men were ordered into the field of infantry.

Severe denunciations of officers followed for making promises that they could not fulfill. Subsequently a special Act of Congress was passed, which placed the regiment upon its proper footing. Orders were received to proceed to Hall’s Hill, Virginia, and report to General Butterfield, then commanding a brigade in Fitz-John Porter’s Division. This force under General McClellan’s favorite officer, was composed largely of regulars, and contained many of the best regiments in the service. General Butterfield gave the regiment incessant exercise in the line of duty. There were drills by squad, company, regiment, and battalion, accompanied by guard and picket duty, while recitations in military tactics were the order for the night. During this time the regiment was reviewed four times,---once by General Porter and three time by General McClellan.

About November 1 the engineers were ordered to Washington to receive instructions in special duties of their branch, and going into camp near the navy -yard, the practice of bridge-building by the French ponton system was commenced. Thorough instruction was given in the construction of field fortifications, military roads, and to warlike appliances such as gabions, fascines, chevaux-de-frise, stockades, palisades, sap-rollers and block-houses.

Early in the spring of 1862 the regiment moved into Virginia, under the command of General Woodbury, of the regular engineers, and was assigned to General McDowell’s Corps, then covering Washington.

Marching to Manassas past the formidable guns which were the occasion of mirth and cheer, the command proceeded to Bristoe Station. An order was soon after received from General McClellan directing a return of the engineer brigade to join his force at Yorktown. With cheer upon cheer at the prospect of active service under the commanding office, the men countermarched at quick time for Alexandria, arriving April 10; the steamer “ Louisiana” took the 50th on board and conveyed it to Cheeseman’s Landing, near Yorktown, on the 13th, when duty at once began in the trenches, under incessant fire of the enemy’s batteries.

The regiment was now ordered to bring up the ponton bridges and throw bridges across the various streams that obstructed communications with different parts of the field, and to open roads for the passage of heavy artillery. It is difficult to realize the firmness required to perform these hazardous duties under the demoralizing effect of ponderous shell constantly exploding in their midst. During the siege an immense battery for ten thirteen-inch mortars was constructed by the regiment, and was to have opened on the enemy of the evacuation.

Sunday May 4, was ushered in bright and beautiful. It was a perfect day in the “Sunny South,” and the soldiers lay in their camps excitedly awaiting the opening of the mortar battery with its one-hundred pound shells, when the news spread that Yorktown was abandoned and the enemy in retreat. Gathering up the siege material, bridge trains, and tools used in investment, the regiment followed in pursuit of the enemy up the Peninsula by way of the Pamunkey River. Marching from West Point, on this river, to the White House, thence to the Chickahominy, near New Cold Harbor, bridges were at once commenced across this treacherous stream. At Bottom’s Bridge a portion of the structure was left standing and it was rapidly rebuilt for the passage of Casey’s Division to the battle of Seven Pines.

The Chickahominy, near Richmond , in a dry season is a mere brook, with more or less marsh on either side, and is often not more than ten to twenty yards wide; but on the night of March 30, while attempting to build a timber bridge across the stream at a point near Gaines’ house, it rose so rapidly during the prevalence of a heavy rain that the approaches to bridge were entirely under water, and in five hours the stream had widened to ten times its ordinary channel. For a time it was believed that the enemy had dammed the stream above, and had let down the accumulated water to destroy the bridges. It seemed a very crisis, and the engineers, in water to the waist, worked like beavers, momentarily expecting the enemy to open on them from the wood beyond. Anxiously awaiting to cross this bridge was the 44th Regiment, which had taken the place vacated by the 50th the year before at Hall’s Hill.

Six bridges at different points were rapidly constructed, covering a distance of six miles from one extreme to another, and known officially as Summer’s, Woodbury’s, Duane’s, Alexander’s, the Grapevine, and New Bridges, near Cold Harbor. June 26, Porter ordered the bridges on his front destroyed as the battle of Mechanicsville had that day commenced.

During the battle of Gaines’ Mills, next day, the pontoons were taken up and a portion of the regiment ordered forward, while the remainder were placed at different bridges to blow them up as soon as Porter’s Corps should cross from the battle then pending. Pushing on rapidly during the night Captain Spaulding and Lieutenant McDonald built two bridges at White Oak Swamp in time for Keyes’ Corps, who had advanced towards the James on that day. These two bridges were destroyed the next day by General French, commanding the rear-guard, just before the arrival of Stonewall Jackson at the swamp.

Pressing forward through the woods, with their muskets slung, the men plied their axes vigorously, opening parallel roads for the immense trains of heavy artillery hurrying on to Glendale and Malvern Hill. At the latter place the regiment slashed the woods for a long distance to enable the gunboats to open on the enemy during the expected battle there, and rendered very effective service in placing formidable obstructions along the right of the line, where the rebels subsequently attempted to capture our batteries. Still pressing forward in the advance with the ponton bridge, great difficulties were encountered from fugitives from the main army while laying the bridges over the smaller streams on the route and not until General Kearney had ordered the cavalry to clear the way did the engineers succeed in completing the last crossing that landed our heavy trains at Harrison’s Landing.

While at the landing the enemy made a demonstration on the front and the 50th was ordered up to participate in the expected engagement. Cheerfully and promptly they responded, but the movement proving a feint the men returned to their more legitimate duties. Anticipating an attack, McClellan ordered bridges constructed over Herring Creek and several smaller streams for the rapid co-operation of the different corps, then occupying a line about five miles in extent. While the bulk of the army seemed at rest, this regiment was constantly on duty, strengthening the defenses of the camp, and increasing the surrounding communications by opening new roads and facilitating the passage of supply-trains from the landing to the more distant troops on the outposts.

August 13 the regiment was divided into detachments, and ordered to the Chickahominy to prepare the way for the army about to evacuate the Peninsula. At Barnett’s Ferry a ponton bridge was laid nearly 1600 feet in length. General McClellan said it was the longest bridge known to him in history. During three day and nights this was occupied by the passing of infantry, cavalry, artillery, and the interminable supply-trains.

On the morning of the 19th General Pleasonton came up with the guard, and two gunboats took position to restrain the enemy while the bridge was dismantled. The bridge-equipage was taken to Fortress Monroe, and thence to Alexandria. September 30 the engineers set out for Aquia Creek to bridge for Burnside, then about to evacuate Fredericksburg. September 7 they were ordered back to the fortress, and from thence conveyed ponton and bridge-equipage to Washington. September 20 the regiment started for Harper’s Ferry, via Rockwell and Frederick City, with bridges to replace those destroyed by the enemy upon its retreat from Antietam. About the 25th a long ponton bridge was laid across the Potomac at Berlin, Md., six miles below Harper’s Ferry, and by that causeway the old Army of the Potomac once more crossed into Virginia. Later, an order came to proceed to Washington and partake in the campaign that culminated in the attack on Fredericksburg. Proceeding by rail, the engineers assisted at Washington to make up the desired bridge-equipage, and, November 19 started from the capital with fifty ponton-boats by land. It required nearly one thousand animals to draw this immense train of bridge material. Alexandria was scarcely reached when the rain poured down, and the road became a succession of quagmires. This march occupied six days and nights of arduous toil in rain and mud, the men lifting the wagons from the ruts and pushing them in as fast as possible.

Major Spaulding saw horses and men giving out, and the roads utterly impassable, and bridging the Occoquan at Occoquan City, crossed the stream made the boats into rafts, and took them via the Potomac to Belle Plain in tow of a large tug. The boats were immediately loaded on the wagons, with other material and the train moved to a position near and opposite to Fredericksburg on November 25. The regiment encamped neat to the Lacy House a few days and then went into camp at White-Oak Church.

The first week in December was occupied by Burnside’s chief of artillery and officers of the battalion in reconnoitering positions for crossing the river, about ten miles below the city. Roads were repaired and miles of corduroy laid through swamps approaching the river, along positions hidden from the enemy. After a few days the plan was changed, and the army was to cross opposite the city. The engineers were ordered to throw a bridge across opposite the city, at a point about 300 yards below the ruins of the railroad bridge. Carefully examining the route through an opening in the bluff, and repairing the road leading to the designated point during the night, every precaution was taken to approach the river without alarming the enemy’s pickets of the shore opposite.

On the morning of December 10 came the order to move near our position in the early morning, and during the night push along the river-bank reach the point and construct the bridge as rapidly as possible.

Moving silently along the river-bank, the engineers were in position at one o’clock on the morning of December 11, while a dense fog prevailing at the time lent its protection to shroud their movements. Rapidly making a detail of bridge-builders, the work was begun. The river at this point is between four and five hundred feet wide, requiring twenty-three boats to span the stream. The engineers were supported in their perilous work by two regiments of infantry. Pushing the work with great energy, the bridge was completed to within eighty or ninety feet of the opposite shore, when a force of the enemy posted behind a stone wall in front, and about two hundred yards distant, opened a deadly fire on the men clustered upon the bridge, killing and wounding several and driving the rest ashore.

The 89th New York Regiment poured a volley against the wall, while a battery from the bluff in vain attempted to dislodge the enemy from their defense. As the work on the bridge ceased the enemy’s fire was suspended.

It was finally resolved to finish the bridge at all hazards. The places of the killed and wounded were filled by fresh details, who with cheerfulness stepped forward on the forlorn hope. Captain McDonald alone walked to the end of the bridge, made an examination and returned unmolested. Again the detail reached the terminus and resumed work.

A few moments passed when a murderous volley was discharged by the enemy; Killing and wounding several. These two attempts to lay the bridge with a force of sixty men resulted in a loss of two killed and seventeen wounded. A third time the bridge was commenced and again were driven back by the enemy’s bullets. Infantry was now taken over by the engineers on boats, the enemy captured and the bridge finished. After crossing the army and back again to the Falmouth side they went into camp.

Bridges were laid April 29 below Fredericksburg and June 5 the regiment assisted in laying a bridge at Franklin’s Crossing under a severe fire from the enemy’s rifle pits. After the battle of Chancellorsville the engineers moved to Washington and June 25 marched to Poolesville, Md., and pushing on rapidly to Frederick City, reached Beaver Dam on the 30th. July 6 the engineers took their trains to Harper’s Ferry, and ferried over infantry to drive out the rebels holding the place. This done bridges were laid across the Potomac and Shenandoah, to connect London, Bolivar, and Maryland Heights. Moving down to Berlin, bridges were laid at a former site, where McClellan had crossed and here Meade’s victorious army marched once more into Virginia on the 18th and 20th of July. Until the 26th the men guarded the bridge from the Virginia side, then dismantling, moved to Washington via canal and ordered thence to Rappahanock Station, to take charge of all the bridges on the river. During August the Rappahanock was spanned at Beverly’s Ford, Kelly’s Ford, and the station.

Early in October, Lee began to menace the Union lines along the Rapidan, and the engineers were kept busy marching, building, and renewing bridges and finally constructing a fortified camp at Rappahanock Station, went into winter quarters.

April 12,1864, the battalions were assigned to different corps, and entered upon arduous service. At short notice bridges were laid, corps crossed and then dismantling and loading, rapid and fatiguing marches were made, and the process again and again repeated.

The engineers seemed empowered with ubiquity. At one time a bridge 200 feet long os laid in fifty minutes,a battalion marches to take part in the battle of the Wilderness, a bridge is built at Ely’s Ford to cross wounded then to Fredericksburg and on to the Pamunkey River, at Hanovertown. The bridges were dismantled June 2 and a movement was made to Cold Harbor.

Once more on that familiar stream the Chickahominy, at the ruins of Long Bridge, June 12, the position was reconnoitered and a small rebel force found on the opposite bank. At dark the engineers, launching the boats, took across the charging party, losing one man killed; then moving over the familiar road to Cole’s Ferry, on the Lowere Chickahonimy, assisted in laying a bridge of sixty boats, making a structure 1200 feet in length. Five boats were towed down this stream , passing the point crossed by McClellan on his retreat, in 1862, and then moved up the James to Fort Powhatan and City Point. At the battle of Reams’ Station the engineers were ordered into rifle-pits on the left of the field.

During the siege of Petersburg the men were distributed along the lines, and engaged in the construction of forts, with magazines, bomb-proofs, and traverses. Here the 50th constructed an immense fort, the largest built during the siege, the faces being 125 yards in length, with a relief of 15 feet. With an average daily detail of 1000 men its construction occupied three weeks.

October 1, an extension to the left required the construction of a chain of forts within short artillery range, and the 50th actively engaged in the work. The regiment rendered important service in repairing roads and extricating ammunition-trains. During the last of March, in the movement on Five Forks, Petersburg fell, and the need of pontons ceased. At Farmersville, on the Appomattox, was constructed the last ponton bridge used against the enemy by the Army of Potomac. The army of Lee surrendered. The long bridge over Staunton River was rebuilt and other services rendered, when when one evening the intelligence spread through the camps that a dispatch had just been received from General Meade, saying that the Arny of the Potomac would pass in review through Richmond on the following day, and if the engineer would reach the city in time the next morning they would be placed in the head if the column. This news was received with cheers and in an exultant mood the march was begun and completed. Pursuing their way with the long bridge-trains, the 50th reached the river at Frederickburg and laid bridges at the old points. Here Sherman’s army crossed on its way to Washington. The bridges were then removed and marching to Fort Berry, near Long Bridge the regiment went into camp June 1,1865.

At the grand review the 50th had the right of the column; then their labors done, there remained only a return home, a muster out , and a resumption of those civil duties whose steady pursuit had shown them not only approved soldiers , but industrious and excellent citizens.

The following is a list of the killed and also of those who died of disease or wounds, in the 50th Engineers, taken from the muster out rolls in the Adjutant- General’s office in Albany:


James N. Duran died May 6,1862

Riley Flitches, died May 22,1862

George Beman died June 23,1862

Thomas Desmore died June 24,1862

John S.Smith died July 1,1863

William T. Chrystoler died Feb. 19,1863

Jeremiah T. Ellis died March 28,1864

Robert M. Hathway died April 7,1864

James N. Curtis died April 9,1864

Philip Ward, died July 24, 1864

William H. Crossman died June 15, 1864

Gilbert L. Brown died Aug. 6,1864

Theodore Bont died Aug. 7,1864

Charles S. Peirce died Aug. 15, 1864

Gustavus S. Ames died Sept. 10,1864

Worden Cox died Oct. 5,1864


Levi Decker died Sept. 28,1864

John B. Lewis died Sept. 25,1864

Chester F. Harvey died Oct. 27,1864

Frank Vandermark died Nov. 12,1864

William S. Alger died Nov. 1,1864

Charles H. Wanoman, died in the field, cause unknown, April 2,186

Nathan Teiell, thrown from an ambulance and died Aug. 20,1862

Tabez Renford died June 8,1862

Chester B. Acker died June 9,1862

Job L. Prouty died June 9,1862

James F. Richardson died July 16,1862

Rodolphus Brown died Jan. 26,1863

Arthur B. Clark drowned July 5,1863

Israel Bishop died of wounds June 3,1864

Charles Noxley died July 19,1864

Amos Chapman died Aug 7,1864

Daniel Gill died Aug.22,1864

John Case died July 27,1864


Biron R. Semons died Oct. 22,1861

Edward D.L. Thornton died Oct. 26,1861

Kimble S. Wood died Nov. 3,1861

John T. Tyler died Nov. 7,1861

Erwin L. Tickener died Oct. 3,1862

Lewis Wilcox died Dec. 11,1862

William Blakesley died Dec. 11,1862

William P. Butts died Dec.14,1862

James Taylor died Dec. 20,1862

Samuel Doney died June 9,1862

George W. Goodspeed died Nov. 12,1863

Albert W. Walls died March 20, 1864

Richard Dolalley died April 9,1864

Oliver P. Wilson died Aug. 29,1864

David E. Norton died Sept. 14,1864

Willis Fenton died Oct. 10,1864

Philetus Van Dyke died Nov. 10,1864


Hiram Thorp died Dec. 20,1861

Jacob L. Dae died June 8, 1862

Martin L. Clark died Aug.12,1862

Alexander Cummings died Dec.3,1862

John Lamphere died Jan.30,1863

William Mabie died March 7,1864

Theodore Sellin died April 14,1864

Joseph Spaulding died May 10,1864

John W. Pew died July 24,1864

Austin J. Aiken killed Sept. 23,1864

Ashley C. Eldred died Aug. 18,1864

Robert Brown died Aug.16,1864

Nathan Muller died March 17,1864

Henry T. Singer died March 17,1864

David Blanchard died Jan. 5,1865

Thomas McNamara died Ceb.26,1865

Jacob T. Allison died Aug. 29,1865


Ebenezer Rittsley died Sept. 22,1864

Philo Jump died Sept. 23,1864

Newman P. Rigley died Nov. 28,1864

James L. Russell died Dec.22,1864

Erastus Krath died Oct. 10,1864

John S. Newcomb died Sept. 22,1861

Stephen Matteson died Dec. 3,1861

William Goodrich died July 5,1862

Henry Blunt died Aug. 21,1862

Luke Hammond died June 27,1863

Lemuel Stoddard died July 12,1862

William Askin died Aug.21,1863

George Rice died March 21,1864

John S. Vernan died March 27,1864

Francis L. Knickerbocker died March 28,1864

Silas Hasbronk died April 13,1864

David Mosher died July 15,1864

Frederick Miller died Sept.1,1864

John E. Covert died Aug. 15,1864

Levi Howard died April 28,1864


Daniel Carpenter died Nov.16,1861

William Corvill died Oct.19,1862

Aaron B. Hull died May 14,1862

John A. Dodge died Nov. 10,1862

Datus E. Busk died Nov.27,1862

Charles McCluskey died Dec.5,1862

Philip M. Comfort killed Dec.11,1862

Charles R.E. Berswick killed Dec.11,1862

Robert Bettie died Dec.15,1862

Abram Rollison died Jan.12,1863

Isaac F. Bradshaw died Feb. 2,1863

Maurice Spalone died May 25,1863

John F. Sturgiss killed June 5,1863

Isaac Crage died Nov.12,1863

Edward W. Johnson died May 8,1864

Samuel K. Canfield died Aug.13,1864

William Loomis died Sept.2,1864

Abram B. Symonds died Nov.17,1864

S.Fletcher Brees died Dec.21,1863

William Manning died Jan.29,1865

Hiram H. Danwich died April 13,1865

James H. Oakley died May 12,1865

James Grotan drowned May 25,1865


Andrew Cady died Jan.22,1862

Bernard Riley died Jan.28,1862

William Stott died May 9,1862

Merril Denson died July 15,1862

Michael Door died May 30,1862

John Boyce died June 9,1862

Abraham Wolverton died Jan.7,1863

John R. Sterns died Feb. 9,1863

John G. Herron died March 11,1863

Eli J. Beardsley died Nov.19,1863

Mopton Davenport died Feb.21,1864

Daniel S. Wheaton died March 11,1864

Dewitt Johnson died April 11,1864

John Gunn died Aug.7,1864

Saul C. Houf died Aug.12,1864

James Brooks died Aug.16,1864

William Landon died Sept.3,1864

John D. Milspaugh died of wounds Sept. 23,1864

Dyer T. Gibbs died Oct.28,1864

George Burnop died Nov.3,1864

Sterling Taylor died Nov.26,1864

Ambrose Ponel died Nov.12,1864


Allen Rescom died Feb.4,1862

John Gray died May 17,1862

Isaac N. Brokan died June 27,1862

John Barber killed Dec.11,1862

Stephen Fraser died Feb.23,1863

John Hazzard died March 12,1863

Asa W. Sweet died March 16,1863

William W. Jennison died March 26,1863

John S. Riley died Aug.5,1863

Martin H. Dillenbeck died Sept.18,1863

John D. Meacham died Nov.15,1863

Jonas R. Mate died May 20,1863

Sulye D. Gregory died Oct.11,1863

Egbert H. Lathrop died Nov.30,1863

Clarion D. Cummings died Sept.28,1863


Captain Augustus S. Perkins killed Dec.11,1862

Second Lieutenant Henry Yates died May23,1862

George W. Algro died March 25,1862

John T. Egan died May 16,1862

Edwin Kipp died June 19,1862

Garrison R. Franklin died Aug.5,1862

John Malone died Sept.13,1862

William Bostwick died Sept. 9,1862

Hanson G. Champlice killed Dec.11,1862

John Cousan died Oct.25,1862

John L. Murphy died Dec.20,1862

William H. Maslan died Nov.25,1863

Hughson Gardner died Nov.10,1863

Justus E. Barton died March 31,1864

William H. Kipp died April 10,1864

Aaron Frily died April 13,1864

George Dunn died July 21,1864

Squire A. Kimber died July 27,1864

Charles Stratton died Aug.5,1864

Landon A. Brown died Aug.16,1864

James Randall died July 20,1864

James H. Perkins died Oct.6,1864

Manlius Hulce died Oct. 10,1864

Charles Hollenbeck died Oct.13,1864

James Jones died Oct.21,1864

Chauncey Cranford died Nov. 14,1864

Charles Howard died Nov.15,1864

Charles S. Gardner died Oct.13,1864

Welcome Bartlett died Dec.19,1864

William F. Bradley died Jan.6,1865

Andrew Fosburg died Feb.24,1865

Frank Short died May 10,1865


Charles Savage died Aug.5,1862

Freeman D. Amidon died Nov.17,1863

Isaac Burrell died May 21,1862

Virgilius P. Crilcord died June 30,1862

Henry P. Myers died Feb.23,1862

William H. Randall died June 14,1862

William H. Rogers died July 12,1863

Andrew J. Rosenburgh died Aug.25, 1862

Thomas Welsh died Nov. 23,1863

Albert Kisingher drowned May 24,1862

Allen Beach died May 15,1864

William W. Bowman died Oct.3,1863

Newman Storing died Dec. 22,1864

Jonahan W. Dawson died Jan.13,1865

John W. Westfall died May 16,1864

Brees Ezaa died Aug. 4,1864

Francis Turner died Sept. 20,1864

John Harvey died of wounds July 5,1864

Constance White died May 21,1865


James Lennard died March 8,1864

Daniel H. Johnson died July 20,1864

William H. Whitehead died Aug. 16,1864

Frank A. Handy died Aug. 15,1864

John A. Stafford died Aug. 25,1864

John H. Miller died Nov. 8,1864

Albert Buell died Nov.19,1864

Samuel Howes died Dec. 11,1864


John E. Bennett died Aug.3,1864

Lewis Borron died Aug.20,1864

James S. Cole died April 5,1865

Garrett C. Dodge died Oct.3,1864

Harvey Daniels died Oct.2,1864

William De Marvanville died May 18,1864

Peter L. Houck, Jr., died of wounds Sept. 30,1864

Jeremiah Klock died Nov. 7,1864

Charles A. Langdon died July 2,1864

William Orr died Sept. 23,1864

James Post died July 13,1864

Edgar D. Perry died June 13,1864

Jacob D. Smith died April 12,1864

George W. Sayre died Aug. 26,1864

Alfred T. Williams died July 19,1864

Chemung County NY

Published On Site On 13 JUN 2004
By Joyce M. Tice

You are our welcome visitor since 13 JUN 2004